Would you drive 2300 miles based on these conditions -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarmerPhil

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been an extremely proud owner of a 88 GMC 1500 4x4 w the 5.7L v8 for about a year now. This website has provided a lot of interesting info and opinions from other GM truck owners. I often find myself researching various topics from favorite oil filter brands, to ideal engine operating temperature, to the history of ACDelco - now because I know that is the OE supplier.

In Feb2021 I will be moving from WA to TX and am concerned about the drive thru Utah - Colorado. The truck is in GREAT physical condition (Dark blue, no rust, single cab, 8ft bed, 1-piece bench seat, canopy) as well as maintenance, however, I've owned this truck for 1 year / 9k miles only and have had to do a large repair every 1500 miles or so. On paper, this truck is close to new, but because I have had limited seat-time, I'm not sure if this trip is worth it.

The title indicates the miles are not original, ODO shows 210,000 however - the truck was built in CANADA and possible the gauge was swapped for a USDM/mph gauge, I also have previous owner records showing a milage discrepancy, from 177k and the next service showed 135k - so either the owner had engine swapped out (off the books) or the auto shop simply punched in the wrong mileage as they were starting a new invoice and continue to run w it. For my peace of mind and for the sake of the discussion, lets assume it is 210,000 miles on motor/transmission.

During my 1-yr / 8,000 miles of ownership, I have had the following professional replaced (some of these having less than 1500 miles on them):

-spark plugs/wires/distributor
-multiple oil/filter changes w Pennzoil high milage 10w/30 + multiple seafoam + OEM engine air filter
-water pump/radiator/coolant
-starter/battery
-power steering pump
-windshield/windshield wipers
-various light bulbs, OEM-style taillight/front turn signal covers
-fuel filter/fuel pump/hanger assembly
-GM 17" wheels w Michelin Defender tires w new full size spare
-4 hi headlight mod (great visibility !)
-PVC valve
-recent tire rotation/air up indicates brake pads are at 5mm, and that suspension is "tight and no leaks"

The above list does not include the items the previous owners had replaced from 2005-2015 (records I have) and they are various across the board - from headlight switch, windshield wiper motor assembly, window motor actuator, pitman arm, Idler arm, various sensors and hoses, brake lines, various other bulbs, multiple water pumps, thermostats, filters.. it appears to be well kept.

I have AAA, a smart phone, various credit cards and cash. In the last 2 months I've put 2200 miles trouble free, multiple 200-300 mile trips back n forth along I-5. Gas gauge does not dance back and forth, operating temp does not reach above 170 under load and oil pressure holds steady at 30 psi.

Based on these circumstances, would you drive this GMT400?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. I don't understand peoples' fear of long trips in old trucks. I drove 1300 miles to MI and back this year. Some people were shocked I'd take a 20+ year old truck that far. My response is this: it doesn't break down every 4 tanks of fuel back home, so why is it more likely to do so on the road?

FarmerPhil

Reaction score
Yes. I don't understand peoples' fear of long trips in old trucks. I drove 1300 miles to MI and back this year. Some people were shocked I'd take a 20+ year old truck that far. My response is this: it doesn't break down every 4 tanks of fuel back home, so why is it more likely to do so on the road?

The reason I ask because in my ~9,000 of ownership I have had to replace something suddenly every couple thousand miles/months, and many of those times the truck died while on the road. I have not had more than 2500 trouble free miles. Not enough seat time to make a decision on overall reliability. Thanks for your reply.

To put it in perspective, I bought the truck Oct2019 and it suddenly died/towed/was repaired in Dec2019, Feb2020, April, Sept. All while on the road, somewhat far from home. Based on experience and paranoia, it would appear I would need another repair soon.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The reason I ask because in my ~9,000 of ownership I have had to replace something suddenly every couple thousand miles/months, and many of those times the truck died while on the road. I have not had more than 2500 trouble free miles. Not enough seat time to make a decision on overall reliability. Thanks for your reply.

To put it in perspective, I bought the truck Oct2019 and it suddenly died/towed/was repaired in Dec2019, Feb2020, April, Sept. All while on the road, somewhat far from home. Based on experience and paranoia, it would appear I would need another repair soon.

If that's the case just have it inspected before you go.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'd do the same things I'd do in any vehicle before a long trip like that: check fluids, belts, tires, pack a couple extra quarts of oil and trans fluid (assuming it's an auto), maybe pull the wheels and verify that you have adequate brake pad + shoe thickness, then hit the road. All of my vehicles are in that magical 200k+ mile zone and I throw in a few key tools before a long trip but rarely the whole tool box. That's a good looking truck, sounds like a fun trip.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drove my 78 Malibu 60k in 6-7 months back in 99 IIRC. It had a junk yard 400 with 1,000,000 miles at least. Only things that broke (all of which was mine own fault) the trans, only because the convertor bolts didn't line up, rather than pull trans out just half assed elongated the holes, didn't work very well, and the other was would break rocker arms whenever they felt like breaking. Cam was at the max lift for stock springs. I kept a handful in the center console.

After that I drove an 84 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd 6" lift 35s for bout 4-6 months, can't really remember, but prolly put 20-25k on it in that time. Spark plug wire came off loom, burnt on the header, while replacing it I slipped and broke the radiator inlet off, had to swap out a radiator in the middle of a parking lot. These were before I had OD trans, which kinda doesn't make a difference other than lower RPMs and better mileage. But I don't see a reason why it wouldn't make it.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been an extremely proud owner of a 88 GMC 1500 4x4 w the 5.7L v8 for about a year now. This website has provided a lot of interesting info and opinions from other GM truck owners. I often find myself researching various topics from favorite oil filter brands, to ideal engine operating temperature, to the history of ACDelco - now because I know that is the OE supplier.

In Feb2021 I will be moving from WA to TX and am concerned about the drive thru Utah - Colorado. The truck is in GREAT physical condition (Dark blue, no rust, single cab, 8ft bed, 1-piece bench seat, canopy) as well as maintenance, however, I've owned this truck for 1 year / 9k miles only and have had to do a large repair every 1500 miles or so. On paper, this truck is close to new, but because I have had limited seat-time, I'm not sure if this trip is worth it.

The title indicates the miles are not original, ODO shows 210,000 however - the truck was built in CANADA and possible the gauge was swapped for a USDM/mph gauge, I also have previous owner records showing a milage discrepancy, from 177k and the next service showed 135k - so either the owner had engine swapped out (off the books) or the auto shop simply punched in the wrong mileage as they were starting a new invoice and continue to run w it. For my piece of mind and for the sake of the discussion, lets assume it is 210,000 miles on motor/transmission.

During my 1-yr / 8,000 miles of ownership, I have had the following professional replaced (some of these having less than 1500 miles on them):

-spark plugs/wires/distributor
-multiple oil/filter changes w Pennzoil high milage 10w/30 + multiple seafoam + OEM engine air filter
-water pump/radiator/coolant
-starter/battery
-power steering pump
-windshield/windshield wipers
-various light bulbs, OEM-style taillight/front turn signal covers
-fuel filter/fuel pump/hanger assembly
-GM 17" wheels w Michelin Defender tires w new full size spare
-4 hi headlight mod (great visibility !)
-PVC valve

The above list does not include the items the previous owners had replaced from 2005-2015 (records I have) and they are various across the board - from headlight switch, windshield wiper motor assembly, window motor actuator, pitman arm, Idler arm, various sensors and hoses, brake lines, various other bulbs, multiple water pumps, thermostats, filters.. it appears to be well kept.

I have AAA, a smart phone, various credit cards and cash. In the last 2 months I've put 2200 miles trouble free. Based on these circumstances, would you drive this GMT400?

If I had your truck. I drive it.. no sense in being worried. Now shes not a brand new rig so there always something that will pop up. You as the owner and driver need to pay attention out for the wierd sounds or squeaks. Dont go ******* it. Also depends how you drive. But assuming your like the average driver. It sounds like a good solid truck. But it is a machine. So just keep your peepers up, over ,under, and around the truck and I think you'll be fine. Member people here got 300k plus. I got 425k out of the original motor, and could of kept it running if I really really wanted to. (HEAD GASKET)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Agreed on the observations! If you drive it enough to learn the sounds it does make, you'll be better placed to know when it's making unusual noises that could mean something is going to happen. Last night, when the wrecker driver was driving my Burb up onto the flatbed, I could hear the tires hissing every time the wheels rolled onto the bent edge of the rims. I've learned what's "normal " for mine, and it gets driven all over greater Houston. Also made several road trips (just not this year! )
Made a road trip to Louisiana 2 years ago, 500 miles total, after having rebuilt the front brakes and installed new upper ball joints. Bought a set of new tires and got it aligned. Was I a little nervous going out of state? Yes. But I was confident in my work, and reasonably confident in the truck. Performance was flawless! Even towing a small trailer, loaded up with 4 of us and our gear, plus my swap meet stock and tables, the old vortec Burb had no problem with the high bridges on I 10. Would I make the same trip now? Not without getting the new upper control arms done( bushings are shot). But I understand my limitations. Next year I should be making several trips to car shows and swap meets, if things get back to sorta normal. If I can get several things done to the truck over the winter, I'll be great with taking it. Pretty much everything is still original on mine except for the things Dad and I have done. You're in better shape there!

Last edited: