Would you drive 2300 miles based on these conditions -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive done the round trip Seattle to Denver, Seattle to Phoenix, Los Angelas to Detroit etc.. several times in vehicles way sketchier than that.
The two big things to consider are the heating/cooling and the brakes.
No matter what Northern route you take there are some pretty long grades to go up and down but it sounds like that is covered.
I would take a spare ICM and a spare coil and know how to change them ( both are easy)
Aside from the normal road trip stuff I would take a fully charged battery jump box.
Keep in mind you can fix just about anything on these trucks on the side of the road and even the most Podunk parts store will have SBC parts.
Ive even put a fuel pump in mine in the middle nowhere by using the factory scissor jack to tilt the bed
My only other piece of advice when driving through the mountains of the west is to never ever check out of your motel room untill you know the road conditions in front of you.
Storms can pop up pretty quick and dump a lot of snow.
I neglected to do this once and spent the night on an offramp in Wyoming in a standard cab F-150 with a 5 speed and a no tilt column.
It sucked.
( take food, water and a damn good sleeping bag just incase)
Oh, and try to do the drive during daylight hours to avoid black ice and know that some of that route has a long long way between gas stations so keep er full
But, I would drive that truck to Texas no problem

FarmerPhil

Reaction score
Ive done the round trip Seattle to Denver, Seattle to Phoenix, Los Angelas to Detroit etc.. several times in vehicles way sketchier than that.
The two big things to consider are the heating/cooling and the brakes.
No matter what Northern route you take there are some pretty long grades to go up and down but it sounds like that is covered.
I would take a spare ICM and a spare coil and know how to change them ( both are easy)
Aside from the normal road trip stuff I would take a fully charged battery jump box.
Keep in mind you can fix just about anything on these trucks on the side of the road and even the most Podunk parts store will have SBC parts.
Ive even put a fuel pump in mine in the middle nowhere by using the factory scissor jack to tilt the bed
My only other piece of advice when driving through the mountains of the west is to never ever check out of your motel room untill you know the road conditions in front of you.
Storms can pop up pretty quick and dump a lot of snow.
I neglected to do this once and spent the night on an offramp in Wyoming in a standard cab F-150 with a 5 speed and a no tilt column.
It sucked.
( take food, water and a damn good sleeping bag just incase)
Oh, and try to do the drive during daylight hours to avoid black ice and know that some of that route has a long long way between gas stations so keep er full
But, I would drive that truck to Texas no problem

Thank you for the well thought out reply. You seem like a guy who knows how to care for a truck! if you are interested in checking out mine and buying it, message me in January :)

I will close the thread in about a months time, I enjoy reading specific personal stores like the one above ^

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All good advice. I will only add to check the rubber parts, such as radiator hoses, PS hoses, belts and things like that. If anything looks brittle, go ahead and replace them.

But seriously take it for a highway spin for about an hour. If it doesn't die or something blows up, you are good.

I thought you were going to ask if you should drive your truck 2,300 miles while towing a 5,000 lb trailer, LOL.

There's a guy on YT named Jimmy that did this, except it was a 95 GMC Suburban from Texas to Austin. Channel is called Road1?...let me find it.

Back in '93 my family moved from LA to Dallas in my brother's C20 that had a Buick 402. We packed as much as we could in the long bed and hit the road. My brother just checked fluids here and there. He drove by himself. We just took our time.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the well thought out reply. You seem like a guy who knows how to care for a truck! if you are interested in checking out mine and buying it, message me in January :)

I will close the thread in about a months time, I enjoy reading specific personal stores like the one above ^
Post some updates about your plans and your trip.
And just do it
You will always remember a road trip, you will never remember a plane flight.
They just kinda blur together.
My advice, as a mid fifties semi old guy is..
If you have the choice between safety and adventure?
Take the adventure every time
Every time

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it. I've made long trips in total turds with no issues, and I've been stranded by 50k mile 4 year old cars. Highway miles tend to be a little easier than stop and go use anyway. Just don't drive it like you're trying to make the highlight reel of Wildest Police Chases and you should be good.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, Washington and Oregon have laws that say you must carry snow chains in a 4x4 even if you dont use them. Im pretty sure that Utah and Colorado do to but I dont remember.
Its not a primary offence but if they pull you over for something else they can write a ticket for that too.
I wouldnt put chains on a 4x4 unless I was on my way to the North Pole.
Its just bad for the drivetrain.
Check your local goodwill and buy em cheap and never use them.