Thoughts on motor condition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about "too many photos", but I don't understand why you started a new thread on the same issue

Mr Schurkey,
Thank you very much for providing this level of insight...I will be putting together a full response addressing things you said that I may have a question or two about, but it will take a little time so bare with me please.....
I apologize for making a separate post, I wasn't sure it would see much traffic if just added as a continuation....
For the record I'm in georgia very near the hometown of the masters golf tournament.....
And re: my experience, I'm not inexperienced in working on things, I grew up on a farm...... I've just never been this far into a car engine, but I feel confident that with proper knowledge and helpful tips/warnings from experienced people, I should be able to handle it as good as it can be done..... not being cocky but that's just the way I tend do things....
Thank you again VERY much for your time and dedication and advice to guys like me, it truly is invaluable

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The first pic of the second set is just a weird point in the block where several of the machining jobs converged and left a funky shape. I deburred my block this last weekend and hit those points with a sanding roll. Didn't reshape them, just took off the sharp edges.
1) Speaking of deburring, what is your opinion of these areas on the new camshaft lobes? Is that normal?.....
2) And what is it that looks like casting Slag (seam running down both sides)? I can't get a good overall pic of it so these other pics are closeup of areas between lobes: they're basically running along the full length of camshaft like casting seams? Seems to me there's lots of potential for bits to come off with wear and run through engine???.......
My first time with a cam of course and I just didn't expect such a vital part to come with such an unfinished appearance...
3) One more thing, all the lobes for cylinders 1,8,4,3,6, and 5 appear to have the proper 40° specified LSA....
However 7 and 2 appear to be almost 180° from each other (video)..... do I just not know how to properly see it? Or is this incorrect grinding?
Sorry for bringing all these rookie questions but I don't want any catastrophic failure and especially not because of something I did or didn't do or ask....I know I'm ignorant (which is acceptable), I don't want to be stupid (which is unacceptable) because we all know that CANNOT be fixed
Thanks a million again guys!!

Attachments

• 20230407_210003.jpg
    20230407_210003.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230408_220022.jpg
    20230408_220022.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230408_220209.jpg
    20230408_220209.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230408_215641.jpg
    20230408_215641.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry the video for question 3 above was too large to add..... here tis

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Yeah, the casting on cams is typically crappy.
2) If your engine has made it this far I wouldn't worry about it.
3) Remember that the banks of the cylinders are also 90° apart. Toss the cam in an engine, throw some lifters in and spin it and you'll see the lifters rise in the correct order.