Wheel bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My '89 regular-cab stepside came with the larger brakes, but it also has a 350, so that might be a determining factor.
The so-called HD brakes were optional on the pre-91 regular cabs, just not many got them as far as I can tell. Absolutely an option, though. What's your brake option RPO code on the SPID label?

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My label's unreadable, and my truck is too old to get a reading on the VIN websites. I believe it's the JB5 brakes.

If you can manipulate this image to make it more readable, you can have a go at it.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Would I need the larger calipers also?
Don't know if anybody has mentioned this throughout the post and not gonna go back and skim it.. but calipers are the same. Rotor is just a little thicker, by .25". The "small" rotor is 1" thick; HD rotor is 1.25" thick. So it'd be easy to tell which you currently have vs. what you need.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My label's unreadable, and my truck is too old to get a reading on the VIN websites. I believe it's the JB5 brakes.

If you can manipulate this image to make it more readable, you can have a go at it.

You must be registered for see images attach
The codes are in alphabetical order, and where JB5 should be, I enlarged the image and that's what it looks like.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Would I need the larger calipers also?
No.
But calipers for a 2500 with the larger piston will work. A bolt-on.
Use with the 1500 pads. The tabs have to be carefully bent out, in order for them to fit & hold inside that bigger bore.
A fairly common upgrade with more than a few discussions here over the years as to the pros & cons.
A mod I haven't done. Yet. Maybe.

While you're at this, one mod that I would recommend is the GMT800 master cylinder swap.
Also...much discussed. Lotsa techno-geek stuff as to why or why not.
This I have done. Seat-of-the-pants, (foot-of-the-pedal?) it is an improvement, no matter what some 'hydro-engineer' says about why it's not a good idea.
The mod took a lot of the mooshieness out of the pedal. A common 400 complaint.
Not perfect, but certainly much better than a 400's OEM M/C.

Look for rotors & drums with a high nickel content.
Pricey initial outlay, but way cheaper over the long run. They will last so much longer than the off-the-shelf jobbers, including OEM GM replacements.
$60.00 rotors last me about 8 months. Junk. '0' lathe turnings.
$250.00 rotors last me 5+ years. 3 turnings.
H/N/C drums could possibly outlast the truck!

I like ceramic pads. They're low dust & they last.
Little harder on the rotors, but with a better nickel content, not too much of a concern.
They take a block or three to get up to temp, depending on the season. Be aware & it's not a biggie. After a while, it just becomes part of driving the truck.
With all this done, pads up to temp, & my '98 easily dips into double digits in feet off of 60mph panic stops.

*ABS deleted.