Wheel help for 92 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jm777

Reaction score
I just bought a 92 c1500 that I’m about to start work on. I need help with choosing the right offset wheels for my build. It will be a 4/6 drop and I want 22” wheels. What would be the correct offset and width that I need to keep them from rubbing or hitting the fenders? The wheels I really want are the 22” US Mag u130. Can someone help me out with choosing the right measurements so that I can lower the truck on a 4/6 drop with no issues?

Jm777

Reaction score
I just bought a 92 c1500 that I’m about to start work on. I need help with choosing the right offset wheels for my build. It will be a 4/6 drop and I want 22” wheels. What would be the correct offset and width that I need to keep them from rubbing or hitting the fenders? The wheels I really want are the 22” US Mag u130. Can someone help me out with choosing the right measurements so that I can lower the truck on a 4/6 drop with no issues?
Or would it be better to stick with 20s on a 4/6 drop?

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Run us mag 20s in the front and 22s in the rear, there offset will tuck. Use drop control arms for the front, not spindles.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Control arms are the preferred way to drop the front for a couple of reasons. Some of the spindle drops increase the track width making it even more challenging to tuck the front tire. Control arms come with new ball joints and bushings which could need replacement anyway given these trucks are 20+ years old today. Another bonus to using control arms is the width, there are three offerings that narrow the track width which allows for a larger selection of wheels that will tuck under the front fenders:

IHC control arms are narrowed .75 inches each side and priced about $670
CPP control arms are narrowed 1 inch per side and are priced about $950 and typically go on sale for 10% off on holidays
Stone Custom Fab are narrowed 1.5 inches each side and are priced about $950 and require air bags or coilovers. Stock springs won't work on these.

I would recommend one of the three options above because they are narrowed, and combined with a drop spring or coilover, get to 4 inches of drop without having to roll the front fenders to clear your wheel and tire combination.

I run IHCs with an 8.5 inch wheel with 5.25 inch backspace and a 255/55r20 tire with no rubbing or fender rolling. The passenger side front tire is very close to rubbing but it doesn't. I expect with any less backspacing the tire would contact the fender lip.

DJM makes a high quality control arm but it is not narrowed and will likely require fender rolling for clearance, or increased backspacing on the wheel. In my case I would have needed 6 inches of backspace to run the DJM control arms and that amount of backspace severely limits wheel choice for these trucks with the 5x5 bolt pattern.

Attachments

• 20230924_172953.jpg
    20230924_172953.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 15

Jm777

Reaction score
Control arms are the preferred way to drop the front for a couple of reasons. Some of the spindle drops increase the track width making it even more challenging to tuck the front tire. Control arms come with new ball joints and bushings which could need replacement anyway given these trucks are 20+ years old today. Another bonus to using control arms is the width, there are three offerings that narrow the track width which allows for a larger selection of wheels that will tuck under the front fenders:

IHC control arms are narrowed .75 inches each side and priced about $670
CPP control arms are narrowed 1 inch per side and are priced about $950 and typically go on sale for 10% off on holidays
Stone Custom Fab are narrowed 1.5 inches each side and are priced about $950 and require air bags or coilovers. Stock springs won't work on these.

I would recommend one of the three options above because they are narrowed, and combined with a drop spring or coilover, get to 4 inches of drop without having to roll the front fenders to clear your wheel and tire combination.

I run IHCs with an 8.5 inch wheel with 5.25 inch backspace and a 255/55r20 tire with no rubbing or fender rolling. The passenger side front tire is very close to rubbing but it doesn't. I expect with any less backspacing the tire would contact the fender lip.

DJM makes a high quality control arm but it is not narrowed and will likely require fender rolling for clearance, or increased backspacing on the wheel. In my case I would have needed 6 inches of backspace to run the DJM control arms and that amount of backspace severely limits wheel choice for these trucks with the 5x5 bolt pattern.
So do you know what specs for wheels I need? I’ve found a few sets I want but idk about the right offset, etc. I need help with choosing the correct offset and width. I don’t want to spend 2 grand on wheels that end up sticking out past my fenders.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your dead set on us mags it’s the only 22x9 they offer

Jm777

Reaction score
what would you suggest? I’m not 100% dead set on them, those are just the wheels that I’ve found I like best. There’s 2 sets of rims by them that I like, but if it’s not the best option I could look into other things.

Jm777

Reaction score
what would you suggest? I’m not 100% dead set on them, those are just the wheels that I’ve found I like best. There’s 2 sets of rims by them that I like, but if it’s not the best option I could look into other things.
I’ve never bought a set of new rims before, it’s always just been buy a set from someone and make them work. So that’s why I was trying to do it the right way this time by getting the correct specs from the get-go.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are nice wheels. 22s will work fine in the front, there will be some rubbing, trimming and fender rolling if your super low.