Bad wheel bearing What to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, much of current Timken is china Timken.
After doing some research, I find Timkin bearings are made in the US and also China. Guess we’ll have to start looking closely at the box to see what country it was made in.
also, checked into SKF and they’re bearings are made in about 12 different countries, including the US.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is huge news. Lots of reputable names in that article.
Kinda old news though, that article is from 2010. I spoke to a salesman at Richmond Gear a couple years ago and he said he couldn’t tell me whether you got Timken or KOYO bearings in their kits, he said sometimes you’d get a mix.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I was buying hubs for my Saturn, I bought a single Timken, and it arrived from Korea, and had a bit of a rough feeling to it. The one time Rockauto screwed me, they said it wasn't indicative of a bad bearing. I reordered anyway, and got a US made one the next time, that was fine.

On my truck, I've got one US made Timken from 07-ish, and one Advance Auto special from 17? I had to swap the metal bracket from the old ABS wire onto the new wire on the new hub. There are metal and plastic brackets, and some of the new hubs only come with the plastic, that doesn't fit my truck.

I've considered SKF, but they never come with new ABS sensors. The SKF hubs plus sensors has always been more than Timken hubs that come with the sensors.

RMRP

Reaction score
I use Timkin because they use tapered roller bearings while some others are ball type thrust bearings.
Tapered bearings handle thrst loads better, while Ball style thrust bearings are better at higher RPM, not a worry on truck wheels.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I use Timkin because they use tapered roller bearings while some others are ball type thrust bearings.
Tapered bearings handle thrst loads better, while Ball style thrust bearings are better at higher RPM, not a worry on truck wheels.
Really? Not doubting you, just surprised. I thought ball bearings hadn't been used in wheel bearings for fullsize GM trucks since 1961. Have you got a link that shows these unitized style hub bearings using ball bearings instead of tapered rollers?

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've got one or two old hubs saved. I've always wanted to try replacing just the bearings. I don't have a press to get them apart, Though. I know they're not supposed to be serviceable, but if they went together, they can come apart.... unless maybe they're peened/crimped/staked/welded/something after assembly.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got one or two old hubs saved. I've always wanted to try replacing just the bearings. I don't have a press to get them apart, Though. I know they're not supposed to be serviceable, but if they went together, they can come apart.... unless maybe they're peened/crimped/staked/welded/something after assembly.
i always wondered too…
You must be registered for see images attach