What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001ZR2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Why I still have a GMT400. My son wrecked his Trailblazer and I towed it back home. The body shop locally was able to make the repair for over $1700 less and found no frame damage. The shop that insurance adjuster visited said frame was bent and wouldn't put a tie rod on it so I could load it easy.

Took 12 hours from door step to door step including loading it while kicking the tire straight. But the K1500 Suburban did it without breaking. Now the 8.6 MPG needed to be addressed.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't towed it yet, and I'm not for sure if I will, but I did hook it up to see how it looked.

The truck is a 97, WT1500, 4.3, auto, 2wd, 3.42 gears. The brakes on this truck work really well, way better than any other GMT400 1500 I've owned.

The camper is a new 24' model that may weight around 6000 to 6500 loaded.

All 5 of the campgrounds we go to are 15 to 20 miles from home and the route consists of very lightly travelled rural highways. I could pull it down into 3rd gear and chug along at 50 mph without disrupting traffic.

I normally use the V10 powered Excursion in the background, but then if I want to bring bikes or firewood etc I need to come back home and get the truck, then later go back home again to get the Excursion to haul the camper home. We usually camp about 3 weekends a month.

Yikes! Actually, it doesn't look "that" bad.

I think my '99 NBS ECSB has a 4,500 lb tow rating with the 4.3/3.42 combination. WT would likely be higher.

Definitely would use trailer brakes. Some 4.10 gears would have no problem towing that.

Weak link is probably the 4L60e anyway, LOL.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hooked up the enclosed trailer to the new to me dually to see how it does. Then loaded the trailer with one of the old trucks for a full-on test drive.
What Chevys and Jimmys do best: hauling fords
Nice dually by the way! And it looks like it hauls well

Last edited:

92_Bahama

Reaction score
Hooked up the enclosed trailer to the new to me dually to see how it does. Then loaded the trailer with one of the old trucks for a full-on test drive.
How'd it tow? 4.10's I'm guessing?

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Towed a aluminum trailer with three four wheelers (one in the bed) and gear from chicago il to mesa az.

Took about 29 hours going there and 30 hours coming back. Stayed a week but drove straight though both ways.

My first time going that distance without a trailer / empty truck (on the way back).

Managed to actually score a little over 15 mpg at one point on the way home.

Only used about 3/4 of a quart of oil (round trip).

Seems as though she developed a exhaust leak on the drivers side, hedder to y pipe, hopefully an easy fix in the very near future.

For now she goes back into storage for some rest and relaxation, wash, oil change etc.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Towed a aluminum trailer with three four wheelers (one in the bed) and gear from chicago il to mesa az.

Took about 29 hours going there and 30 hours coming back. Stayed a week but drove straight though both ways.

My first time going that distance without a trailer / empty truck (on the way back).

Managed to actually score a little over 15 mpg at one point on the way home.

Only used about 3/4 of a quart of oil (round trip).

Seems as though she developed a exhaust leak on the drivers side, hedder to y pipe, hopefully an easy fix in the very near future.

For now she goes back into storage for some rest and relaxation, wash, oil change etc.

I would do nefarious things for this truck