What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Supercharged111 - Don't have HPTuners or anyway to pull data like that yet; it would take a lot of throttle to get going and there wasn't much more grunt once I got up to speed, even with PE which comes on around 2200 or 2500 I can't remember, I kept it pulled in 3rd for the pallet load and that was cruising RPM running about 45-50 MPH, and the furniture load I kept in 4th but took a slower route so it was around 35-45.
Both loads were a lot more tongue weight than I really would've liked but I didn't have much say in loading, the pallet load was loaded up and wound up being way more than I expected being put on my trailer. My buddy brought his 25' gooseneck and only had about 1/2 of what I had here loaded on his truck.

@1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 - The pallets look deceiving, they're flipped upside down every other one so 16 are upright and 16 are upside down. I weighed two stacks with a forklift at work and they scaled out to 900 pounds a stack, I wish I would've taken the truck across the scale to see how much it really weighed.
@Supercharged111 - Don't have HPTuners or anyway to pull data like that yet; it would take a lot of throttle to get going and there wasn't much more grunt once I got up to speed, even with PE which comes on around 2200 or 2500 I can't remember, I kept it pulled in 3rd for the pallet load and that was cruising RPM running about 45-50 MPH, and the furniture load I kept in 4th but took a slower route so it was around 35-45.
Both loads were a lot more tongue weight than I really would've liked but I didn't have much say in loading, the pallet load was loaded up and wound up being way more than I expected being put on my trailer. My buddy brought his 25' gooseneck and only had about 1/2 of what I had here loaded on his truck.

@1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 - The pallets look deceiving, they're flipped upside down every other one so 16 are upright and 16 are upside down. I weighed two stacks with a forklift at work and they scaled out to 900 pounds a stack, I wish I would've taken the truck across the scale to see how much it really weighed.

Ah, I see that now that you've explained it. Yeah, that a good amount of weight then!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
#Mangonesailor should have the info I was asking about. Not sure if I spelled his name right.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't towed it yet, and I'm not for sure if I will, but I did hook it up to see how it looked.

The truck is a 97, WT1500, 4.3, auto, 2wd, 3.42 gears. The brakes on this truck work really well, way better than any other GMT400 1500 I've owned.

The camper is a new 24' model that may weight around 6000 to 6500 loaded.

All 5 of the campgrounds we go to are 15 to 20 miles from home and the route consists of very lightly travelled rural highways. I could pull it down into 3rd gear and chug along at 50 mph without disrupting traffic.

I normally use the V10 powered Excursion in the background, but then if I want to bring bikes or firewood etc I need to come back home and get the truck, then later go back home again to get the Excursion to haul the camper home. We usually camp about 3 weekends a month.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Post a screenshot of your timing table and 4th TCC unlock and 4th downshift tables. Is it gutless holding speed or all around? My 1500 would haul that in OD all day. My math puts you at or over 8000# and at that height, it may as well be enclosed. No need for bags there, what you really need is a weight distributing hitch for that kind of tongue weight.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, the top pic is brody's tow-haul, if he hooks it up. the bottom is mine.

His is a smidge different I think due to his gear ratio. Holds out a little longer. I didn't set it up, it's what he already had in there.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck's good for it, motor is the only place you'll come up short. Take it for a rip and see what it does, just leave it in 3rd.

Yeah, I think I will. I don't have it wired for trailer brakes, but I can take it on a 3 mile low-risk test drive to get a feel for how it pulls, then decide if I want to wire it for trailer brakes. The ground here is all flat so that should help with the little motor.