What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't towed it yet, and I'm not for sure if I will, but I did hook it up to see how it looked.

The truck is a 97, WT1500, 4.3, auto, 2wd, 3.42 gears. The brakes on this truck work really well, way better than any other GMT400 1500 I've owned.

The camper is a new 24' model that may weight around 6000 to 6500 loaded.

All 5 of the campgrounds we go to are 15 to 20 miles from home and the route consists of very lightly travelled rural highways. I could pull it down into 3rd gear and chug along at 50 mph without disrupting traffic.

I normally use the V10 powered Excursion in the background, but then if I want to bring bikes or firewood etc I need to come back home and get the truck, then later go back home again to get the Excursion to haul the camper home. We usually camp about 3 weekends a month.

You must be registered for see images attach

While I tried and failed. The suspension and handling was good, the brakes were excellent, but the lil 4.3 couldn't do it. My max speed was about 50 mph and that was running it way harder than it could endure for long. It really didn't want to go over about 40 mph.

So is a 5.3 swap easy in these trucks?

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

Very true!

I would think a Vortec 350 would be easier to swap in.

Yes, much easier. I was hoping to swap in something as-is without going through a rebuild, and most 5.7's available around here are pretty tired. But if the 5.3 swap would involve a lot of time and (custom) parts then a rebuild may be easier and cheaper and then good for a long time.

...and have more torque.

Yep, a little bit.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very true!

Yes, much easier. I was hoping to swap in something as-is without going through a rebuild, and most 5.7's available around here are pretty tired. But if the 5.3 swap would involve a lot of time and (custom) parts then a rebuild may be easier and cheaper and then good for a long time.

Yep, a little bit.

A crate 350 with the 395 Marine Cam, 1.6 rockers and a good black box tune would be an animal of a set up for your truck

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very true!

Yep, a little bit.
More low end torque * 454 has more torque lol

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting ready to see how the new long tubes & tune performs. Coming home dry she hauled ass! Had two thumbs up from other Chevy guys!

How much does that camper weigh? I tried looking back through a couple posts but couldn't find anything.
Seeing your truck with a 383 pulling that gives me confidence for when I bust the seal open on my 454.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much does that camper weigh? I tried looking back through a couple posts but couldn't find anything.
Seeing your truck with a 383 pulling that gives me confidence for when I bust the seal open on my 454.

camper dry weighs roughly 5k. Just under. But with quad, & all my gear I pull 7-7500k