3500 tow rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freedom

Reaction score
Ok, life long GM guy. Very capable mechanic. Picked up super clean 96 3500 dullie, 5.7 4l80e. Flatbed. Runs good towes good 99%sure 411 out back. Have not spun the tires and measured yet. I have a complete 2013 1500 ls 5.3 6l80e (6 spread tow mode) 4x4 swap. Should I swap complete powertrain or just 5.3 on 4l80e. Or just enjoy old school 5.7. I know 5.7 has a little more bottom end torque. Just wanted to pick you all's brains. Thanks

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont like how the LS family pulls a trailer, but then again I dont like how an automatic pulls a trailer either. lol

I vote keep the 5.7L, and consider going to a Tremec TR4050 if the 80E ever goes down on you.

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled many cars (of different sizes) with an 06 Silverado Crew Cab, Shortbox. 5.3 4l60E. had no issues Truck had 440,000 on it before ex wife wrote it off. That being said, The LM7 5.3 is a good reliable engine... I also used to drive a C3500 C&C Tow truck with 5.7 and 4speed. it did its job. So I think its up to you as to what you want to run. My opinion, stay with the 5.7 for originalities sake

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do the swap unless I could find a L-96 style 6.0. Those are pretty awesome for towing in my experience and with the 6 speed auto and a good tune it’s a potent combo! I’ve got about 100,000 miles on my 2012 since I built it with long tubes and free flowing exhaust.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suspect that you already know the answers and are just looking for opinions on this stuff, or you are a troll, trying to get people to start arguing for entertainment...

The 5.7/4l80e/4.1 (headers and a tune) in my '99 k2500 does pretty well while towing, but I have spent years tweaking this set up to make it work well. Especially with the extra wheels in the rear, you will have to get your set up perfect for this to be even an acceptable tow rig with either the 5.7 or 5.3. If you are willing to add boost to either of those, that is a different story, N/A, it will be low on power.

Or... Swap in a 7.4 with the typical tune/breathing mods and tow somewhat effortlessly. I say somewhat because people who haven't towed heavy stuff usually have totally unrealistic expectations of what the towing experience will be like. They then get upset and start throwing a ton of mods at their truck, which basically only make their wallets lighter. Towing with a gas motor (without boost) is never going to feel awesome. With boost it is only ok. Towing sucks.

Last edited:

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@letitsnow :
Sorry to say for a lot of us (Myself included) Race Cars, Friends Cars, ("Hey Bob what are you doing this weekend, I need a car pulled in from out of town, ill buy dinner and pay gas") Business Reasons. What ever.... It is a Nessisary evil, Find what works and use it is my motto !