5.7 Vortec Tow Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayY

Reaction score
Who would be the go-to these days for a mail-in tune for a 1997 K2500 5.7 4L80E truck. I'll be swapping to 4:10 gears once I find a donor truck and running 35" tires. Already have a couple bolt ons, dual exhuast, etc. Just want to make up power loss while towing on 35's. I'm not after WOT power, just a good daily driver tune that keeps the torque down lower, that would help me pull around 7-8k around a little easier.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Who would be the go-to these days for a mail-in tune for a 1997 K2500 5.7 4L80E truck. I'll be swapping to 4:10 gears once I find a donor truck and running 35" tires. Already have a couple bolt ons, dual exhuast, etc. Just want to make up power loss while towing on 35's. I'm not after WOT power, just a good daily driver tune that keeps the torque down lower, that would help me pull around 7-8k around a little easier.
http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

From what I've heard, Black Bear Performance is the best. I've never used them but @df2x4 has (along with many others, his is the first name to come to mind).

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, Black Bear would be my recommendation for a '96+ for sure.

Westers, PCM4Less and Nelson Performance are some other options but I have no personal experience with them.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much are you towing? I assume you have 3.73s? Figure out a final ratio that matches 4.10s with factory tires for your given tire size. There are on-line calculators that do this for you.

Any 96-00 3500 had 4.10s standard full-float axle, with 4.56 being offered as an option, so finding 4.10s at the junkyard should be pretty easy and least costly option than re-gearing. I believe you currently have the semi float that came with the 5.7 on the 2500s, so can gain the full float option if it matters to you.

JayY

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. @stutaeng you're right on with my thoughts. I'm not trying to have tons of money in the build, the lift kit and install is going to eat up most of my budget. My preferred option would just be to re-gear the semi-floater to 4:56 and call it a day, or even find a 4:56 10.5 and re-gear the front. However, my easiest and most budget friendly option seems to be to find a Big Block Suburban being parted out. Seems likes there is a hundred around here being parted, and they've usually lived gentler lives than trucks of the same vintage. The 4:10 seems to be common in those so I can be in for 1/4th or even 1/5th of the cost of re-gearing.

To answer the questions about how often and how much I tow: it's not a full on farm truck, but it's not a full on daily driver. I'd say 70% of the time I'd be driving it empty or just hauling trash, brush, etc. around the property. 20% of the time the trailering load would be under 6,000 lbs (think 4,000 lb car on 2,000 lb equipment trailer), and 10% of the time would I be hauling between 6,000 and 10,000 (probably will never go over that number with this truck.) I am very responsible when towing and take my time and don't take risks.

The truck currently has 3:73's and 33's with no tune. My thought process is 4:10's, a solid torque focused tune, and a Transgo Shift Kit for the 4L80E would probably feel quite similar on 35's to my current setup. In an ideal world, it would have an 8.1, NV4500, and 4:56's, but just being realistic with how I use it and trying to keep it under a certain budget number.

Thanks everyone for the input!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, I forgot to mention that the diesels only came with 3.73s, never higher I don't think...somehow not a ton of diesel information on this forum...

Anyway, a gas 3500 is almost a guarantee to have 4.10s, and less likely to have 4.56. both full floaters.

2500 had 3.73s standard with 4.10s being optional on gas, with the SBC having SF and BBC/diesel having FF...it may sound confusing.

If you look at your owners manual they have the possible ratio combinations. Can't seem to find mine.

I think suburbans were the same way, in case you come across a diesel suburban, it's most likely a 3.73 FF axle.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, I forgot to mention that the diesels only came with 3.73s, never higher I don't think...somehow not a ton of diesel information on this forum...

Anyway, a gas 3500 is almost a guarantee to have 4.10s, and less likely to have 4.56. both full floaters.

2500 had 3.73s standard with 4.10s being optional on gas, with the SBC having SF and BBC/diesel having FF...it may sound confusing.

If you look at your owners manual they have the possible ratio combinations. Can't seem to find mine.

I think suburbans were the same way, in case you come across a diesel suburban, it's most likely a 3.73 FF axle.

My dad had a 92 K2500 with 6.5, 4L80, and 4.10 gears. :p

JayY

Reaction score
4.10 goes well with 33s, I would definitely want a 4.56 for 35s. Headers, full exhaust, and Blackbear tune will really wake the truck up.
I've got exhaust and a tune will be happening at the same time it gets lifted for sure. I know 4:56 is optimal, but it's just not a cost effective option unless a 4:56 OEM axle falls in my lap. I'm thinking 4:10/35's/Tune will be close to my 3:73/33's/Untuned Combo. Not optimal, but sufficient for the investment.