Towing ratings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horus

Reaction score
Long story short Ive been trying to figure out the legal limit for both my payload and my towing capacity.
There seems to be many and sometimes conflicting sources to look at, the best source Ive found is this dealer spec sheet for 1989 Full size pickups but after reading it I still have questions/concerns.

My truck:
89 K2500 Extended Cab Long Box with the CP6 package (GVW of 8600), 373 gears, 350tbi with a Th400 behind it.

Payload:
The options sticker in my glovebox, which unfortunately is on the edge of being legible looks like it says 2080lbs payload capacity.
My door sticker is long gone as someone replaced the doors on the truck before I got her.

The 1989 Chev full size pickup spec sheet has this to say about Payload:
You must be registered for see images attach

3563lbs for my trucks loadout according to this, or 2656lbs if it was the light duty 3/4, which its not.
This truck has got to weigh around 62-6500lbs (A guess) By that logic I shouldn't have a payload of more than about 2400lbs.
Otherwise I'm over my GVW right?

Towing Capacity:
This forum has a list of tow ratings that puts my truck at 6500lbs, but then I look up and the k1500 with the same gearing and engine he has listed at 7000lbs. So not sure what to make of that.
I would also Imagine the gmt400 trucks ratings would vary by year. Id be shocked if my 89k2500 had the same numbers as a 99k2500 and there's no years mentioned in that post. "https://www.gmt400.com/threads/got-a-simple-towing-question-look-here.36814/"

Again going off of the same Chev Dealer Pamphlet for 1989 fullsize pickups.

12000lbs GCWR would line up to me that 6500lbs is my number. ~8000lbs if I go get myself 410 gears which is on the list anyway if we are honest.

Im pretty turned around about it at this point and Ive just been following common sense as to what's safe or not but would be real nice to know what I can actually haul without hurting the truck, getting a ticket or otherwise having an avoidable accident of some sort.

Any opinions or clarification's would be appreciated,
Cheers.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only way to know payload is to take your rig to a scale. I bet it's right around 6000#, I'd be shocked if it was 6200-6500. Tow ratings are BS on these trucks. As you've observed, it's based entirely on power and gearing. Your bigger 3/4 ton brakes and springs only take away from your towing capacity according to them.

Horus

Reaction score
Your saying throw away all the numbers and just do GVW minus my weight for payload.
That makes total sense but how then did they ever get that 3563lb number I see above?
Maybe Im crazy and my trucks more like 5000lbs? That would be a nice surprise!

Im starting to doubt that 6000lb number as it was a year or two ago I did that weigh in and a quick google just now says it should be between 4506 and 4942lbs curb weight.
Would be nice if that's the case. Ill weigh her and get back to ya.

That would also mean my tow rating is more like 7000-7500lbs.
Fingers crossed.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Your saying throw away all the numbers and just do GVW minus my weight for payload.
That makes total sense but how then did they ever get that 3563lb number I see above?
Maybe Im crazy and my trucks more like 5000lbs? That would be a nice surprise!

Im starting to doubt that number 6000lb number as it was a year or two ago I did that weigh in and a quick google just now says it should be between 4506 and 4942lbs curb weight.
Would be nice. Ill weigh her and get back to ya.

My modified 1500 is 5500# empty. You have a long bed on me, bigger rear drums, and a thicker frame. I don't quite see that adding up to 500#, especially when I have a supercharger that you don't. I think my crew cab dually is supposed to be right around 6500#, but I don't recall where I got that figure.

Horus

Reaction score
Im adding some weight to help account for the Canopy, Tools, 35in Wheels, Second Battery + Accessories I lug around.
Not sure if its accounted for but I also have a 34 Gallon gas tank and plan on adding a secondary tank on the the side in the future.

The main reason I'm so concerned about finding a payload number is I'm looking to buy an in the bed Camper in the near future and still want to have the capacity to haul Camping gear + 1-2 passengers + my 100lb Sheppard and my 225lb self.

Heres an unsolicited dog pic.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gonna hafta weigh all that other crap first. And truck campers are all over the place for weight. How big are you thinking? I went all in on mine.

I'm scared to hit the scales. I know I'm over, so I upgraded the rear brakes and added a 2nd upper overload spring and swaybar. Bags are empty. All stuff to consider if you're going to gross it out.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're not hauling commercial (or a stupidly loaded trailer) you don't need to worry about tickets. Most cops you encounter don't have portable scales and aren't gonna go through the hassle of calling a set in for personal use stuff. You also don't have to take your truck across scale house scales.

What @Supercharged111 did is the wise and safe thing, upgrade your brakes and suspension and roll with it.

Horus

Reaction score
Im looking at something smaller than that, preferably one that doesn't increase my overall length or necessitate the removal of my tailgate.

My truck has a few mods that make me wary about towing or hauling anything, especially top heavy stuff.
Deleted sway bar in the front for example. Great off road. Not as useful when you want to not fall over or have massive understeer in a heavy corner.
For that reason my plan is to buy a kind of gross one from the 90s or early 2000s for cheap or nothing, gut it and rebuild it with all the heavy stuff packed lower in the chassi.
Ill also replace ALL the MDF (bug food) regardless of condition.
My aim is to be around or below 2000lbs for the camper. And then evaluate the truck and upgrade accordingly. Probably air bags in the rear and I plan on putting a coiled Dana 60 on the front end so I can get 37s without destroying a front end every year. Thats likely years away unfortunately.

How did you upgrade your rear brakes? Did you go to bigger modern disks or somehow modify the drums?
Sweet setup, If/When I can figure out how to afford kids Im sure Ill end up with something similar.
For now though it Wouldn't get to the campsites I want to get to without body damage.
My ECLB struggles with some of the places my friends think its a good idea to bring it as it is.

Im not saying that I wont take the risks of being over. I'm just saying with me living somewhere I use a ferry every week or two minimum and I have heard of and seen cops sitting on the highway truck scales waving pickups down. Its a risk Id like to Mitigate past only the safety items that I will make sure I cover. Might be that with a Camper I need my front swaybar back. We will see.