Towing Long Distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I am about to make arrangements to get a U-Haul trailer and tow a 79 ford regular cab long bed truck, located in Arkansas. I’m in upstate New York. 18 hours each way.

My truck is a 95 half ton. Has 4 year old crate 350, rebuilt trans, 14 rear end with locker rebuilt. I’ve towed with it few times but never this long of a drive and I don’t plan on making too many stops other than gas and a little sleep.

Should I have any concerns?

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please for the love of God strap it down properly with good straps. I have a set like this that I use all the time, bought it in 2002. Don’t let your tails flap, roll them up and zip tie them to the handle or strap.

Second, have you told u haul what your putting on that trailer?

Third, I would suggest renting a car trailer from an equipment rental. You will be able adjust the tongue weight better.

Your truck will be fine, it’s not a race and take your time.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you getting the tow dolly or the trailer? The U-Haul trailer is actually pretty good and hard to do wrong, but the surge brakes mean you can't back it up.

The only weak point I see is the 4L60E. Tow in 3rd, get some good mellow tunes lined up, and take it slow.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the responses. The 4l60e I rebuilt last spring with new clutches and vette servo/billet OD servo, and replaced solenoids in valve body.

I’m going the trailer route, not dolly. I have not went to U-Haul yet as I have to set a time to do it, prolly the next couple weeks.

Yes I definitely plan on strapping her down good with plenty of strapping. I don’t need any vehicles falling off that would be a bad day.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But just in general, my truck is solid so is my frame and hitch. Just want to make sure she won’t let me down, I’ll make sure I’m as prepared as possible.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Make sure your brakes are fully functional with plenty of pad/shoe material left, maybe bleed them if they havent been done.

Fresh rear end fluid? I like to change rear end fluid 500-1000 miles after doing any work in there. Same with auto trans rebuild, you don't want the filter getting plugged with clutch break-in fibers halfway through the trip.

Grease all steering/suspension parts, top off all fluids. Change oil? Alignment?

I'm sure it'll be fine but thats a long distance with a heavy load and changing fluids and a fresh front end alignment could pay for themselves with fuel savings.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You make very good points. Alignment I did in August. I greased all the front end at that point. Rear end fluid I did 3 times when I was drive cycling the gears out, so did front diff fluid as well. Transmission fluid I changed about 4 times with filters after the rebuild for break in period.
As for brakes the rear drums I redid when I did my rear end year ago. Fronts I redid with calipers in August. Shocks I did last year.
With my brain I’m always forgetting something though.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you can get the trailer. Last time I tried to get one it was all about my truck is too old , and a bunch of other bs. Different people , different place maybe you'll get different results. I only needed to do a 3 hour round trip and fetch a family member and his Accord.