Tuning 411 to 5.7 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious if there are any new options out these days for tuning?
I sent my 411 to Lextech for a basic tune…before I did the pinout or pulled the engine (that had a spun main bearing) out and the truck would start and run enough to limp it around the shop…then I pulled the engine, had it rebuilt, and put it back in… It cranks right up but it’s definitely not right…
I haven’t done anything as far as hooking a scanner etc up to it etc…so no crank relearn…but I don’t understand why my speedometer is like 35-40 mph off when I sent my tire/wheel size info when I sent my ECM off to get flashed and the basic tune…and wondering how to figure out what was or wasn’t changed/deleted???
Shane

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use an OBDxPro VT and free tuning/logging software. TunerProRT or PCMHammer/PCMLogger or LSDroid will do pretty much anything you could ever want to do.
So I can go in and change my tire size, delete vats, go to a 2 Bar Map, delete EGR?

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I can go in and change my tire size, delete vats, go to a 2 Bar Map, delete EGR?
Yep... not sure on the 2 bar, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to do that without going to a custom OS. HP Tuners is another way to do all that.. but for about $400. There was some issue with the OBDxPro production and they are between shipments right now. I think I saw a post to the effect of "we can't make the old ones anymore, and the new ones don't quite work right with the software yet" so they were not shipping any of the new units until they got their software fixed. The guys that make the OBDxpro devices are also the same guys that are developing the freeware that uses it like LS Droid and PCM Hammer.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep... not sure on the 2 bar, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to do that without going to a custom OS. HP Tuners is another way to do all that.. but for about $400. There was some issue with the OBDxPro production and they are between shipments right now. I think I saw a post to the effect of "we can't make the old ones anymore, and the new ones don't quite work right with the software yet" so they were not shipping any of the new units until they got their software fixed. The guys that make the OBDxpro devices are also the same guys that are developing the freeware that uses it like LS Droid and PCM Hammer.
I read and flash on the desk with an old desktop, a bench flasher and an OBDLinkSX. It is slow to read and do a full write, but has been 100% reliable in its connection and writing.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read and flash on the desk with an old desktop, a bench flasher and an OBDLinkSX. It is slow to read and do a full write, but has been 100% reliable in its connection and writing.
They have said it can be spotty with the OBDlink ones. If you have an older firmware, it works fine. Newer firmware can break the compatibility, so I would suggest if it works now, never update the firmware. It is supposedly also about 4x slower than the OBDxpro hardware... but that still isn't too bad considering its basically free.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They have said it can be spotty with the OBDlink ones. If you have an older firmware, it works fine. Newer firmware can break the compatibility, so I would suggest if it works now, never update the firmware. It is supposedly also about 4x slower than the OBDxpro hardware... but that still isn't too bad considering its basically free.
When you are not on a time crunch and have other things to do it works great. Connect, start the flash and walk away. Saves $100 per PCM if you are not VIN unlimited.

Last edited: