1998 3500 crew/longbed build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

themeec

Reaction score
Know that look all too well. When I picked up my C2500 the first thing I did was pick up some rust free doors.
I'll actually miss the reliability of the manual windows, but the position of the lock on the door makes power locks almost required. Crawling around the cab to unlock all your doors is the worst. Also that nice little velour insert on the Silverado doors is a nice additional comfort touch on long roadtrips.

themeec

Reaction score
Parts, parts, and more parts! Doors all ready to go:

You must be registered for see images attach

More interior bits. Overhead panel, dome light, and sun visors from a Tahoe. Planning to get a blank plate to replace the old A/C knob, and leave some spare wiring in there to put a screen for backup camera later on down the road.

New parts include:
- New carpet insert for the floor
- New turn signal stalk (determined the old one was faulty)
- New headlight switch block
- 100+ sq ft of Kilmat sound deadener (will probably need more, but playing it by ear)
- New hood insulation liner

Also major piece of the puzzle today in the form of the door and overhead wiring harness from a Suburban:

Next on the list is some wiring for the seats. Gonna rob the 60/40 power bench out of the diesel and install in the gasser.

themeec

Reaction score
Got the thing into a transmission shop familiar with GMT400's and finally got the musical drivetrain diagnosed. Sounds like torque converter, or one of the bearings associated with it. So a light rebuild is in it's near future.

Was looking around at parts, which leads me to my next question ... is there such a thing as a trustworthy reman for these, or is it just best to go for new?

Heavyhittah59

Reaction score
Cranked it manually to TDC and watched the distributor spin to be sure, reinstalled 180 degrees from the point it was at (finally on TDC Compression) and she fired right up. Couple spark plug cables weren't quite all the way seated, but after enough time to get the air outta the lines, she purrs again.

Tires and new lugs for the wheels arrive tomorrow, and plan to swap in the seats from the Silverado for a more comfy ride this weekend.

Awesome truck. Would you be interested in selling your running boards. And also shipping them to Hawaii? Haha