Weird metal on magnetic drain plug..what do you think it is??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Likely LS1 Heads on a 5.3 LM7, not the gen 2 350 vortec. Without different pistons this is usually a bad idea, the ls1/ls6 heads flow better but the chamber is larger and results in lower compression, enough that it will make less power than the factory 706/862 heads, I'd be willing to bet that a 5.3 with a TBSS cam and LS1 heads would make LESS power than a bone stock lm7.

Yes, headbolts are TTY on LS motors. 9 times out of 10 you can reuse them with no ill effects though, there have been some tests done showing that re-used stock tty bolts have put down MORE clamping power than arp studs, which are totally unnecessary on an n/a 5.3, but that is beside the point.

Your engine may have had a cam and lifters done in the past and the metal in the pan is just a remnant of that, in the video it really sounds like an exhaust leak more than a lifter to me, you could always pull the valve covers off and take a peek. usually if the cam/lifter has failed like there will be evidence in the pushrod and rocker wear.
Ok. Well it does have a small exhaust leak. I forget where
Maybe a broken bolt on the manifold if i remember correctly.
It sure would be nice if this was from a previous repair.
If i pull the valve covers, what exactly should i look for?
The motor from this guy sounded like more trouble than it was worth. He installed it in a 79 blazer with manual transmission and something about the kid burned up the the clutch bla bla anyway I think he said l99 heads its more than i want to do.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
4.8 pistons in a 5.3 with 5.7 heads = 9.9:1 compression. Or find an L33 which is just that. Also came with a higher lift cam.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im sure the metal has been floating around in the motor for a while. It didnt just happen. So its probably simpler for me to have her keep driving it till it gives up. I can buy a junkyard motor for less than it would cost to fix this one

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may be of some help:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You are not really "LS Swapping" per se, but you are still LS swapping. You get what I'm saying? Yes, get another engine from the junkyard and clean it up. Have her drive the vehicle starts acting up and swap the other engine in a weekend. Cheaper and less downtime than sending to machine shop.

I really like this guy. Very down to Earth and thrifty, for the 98% percentile. I hope it helps.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may be of some help:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You are not really "LS Swapping" per se, but you are still LS swapping. You get what I'm saying? Yes, get another engine from the junkyard and clean it up. Have her drive the vehicle starts acting up and swap the other engine in a weekend. Cheaper and less downtime than sending to machine shop.

I really like this guy. Very down to Earth and thrifty, for the 98% percentile. I hope it helps.
Ill check it out. Yeah its sad its cheaper to just let it fail and then swap. I think a complete motor without accessories is $255 here

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ill check it out. Yeah its sad its cheaper to just let it fail and then swap. I think a complete motor without accessories is $255 here

That's a good deal. I think around here they are $500, but with all accessories. I don't know what machine shops charge around here, but probably in the $30-$50 range. On the other hand, after you swap that other engine, you can tare it down and inspect. May not need an entire rebuild after all.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a good deal. I think around here they are $500, but with all accessories. I don't know what machine shops charge around here, but probably in the $30-$50 range. On the other hand, after you swap that other engine, you can tare it down and inspect. May not need an entire rebuild after all.
$550 for complete. But usually here some has already taken stuff . So you would be better off not buying stuff you have already like alternator, ac pump etc. So like the video states. Dont worrry about the motor. Swap it run it. Dont waste time with a machine shop as they cant match factory quality.
Ive been to many machine shops. And never have i seen any shop build a motor that went 200k . So yeah a gm junkyard motor is better built than a average machine shop motor. Lol
The headgaskets and new head bolts from local auto parts store cost what a motor cost lol