Under bed rear mount fuel tank 92 StepSide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel cells require maintenance. You're supposed to remove the bladder once a year to clean and inspect it, and replace it every five years. Plastic dirt track "fuel cells" aren't a safe option for a street vehicle.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel cells require maintenance. You're supposed to remove the bladder once a year to clean and inspect it, and replace it every five years. Plastic dirt track "fuel cells" aren't a safe option for a street vehicle.
This can't be emphasized enough. People see lots of "builds" get a fuel cell and it's something they saw on a SEMA vehicle that was thrown together in a hurry and never sees regular road use (if ever), a Monster Garage build, stuff like that. It's a quick fix for guys building things that are outside-of-the-box and they need a quick solution, but it's not necessarily the correct solution.

Richard

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remove the bladder and throw it away. I’ve never had any issues running fuel cells. Sure the welds could split in a high impact situation but there isn’t anything wrong with a properly mounted fuel cell.

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s some pics from when I put my fuel cell in. Mine had foam in it, I yanked it all out and have had zero issues.

Attachments

• IMG_6055.jpeg
    IMG_6055.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6053.jpeg
    IMG_6053.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6050.jpeg
    IMG_6050.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6049.jpeg
    IMG_6049.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 9

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remove the bladder and throw it away. I’ve never had any issues running fuel cells. Sure the welds could split in a high impact situation but there isn’t anything wrong with a properly mounted fuel cell.
!!! DO NOT DO THIS !!!

Seriously, the whole point of a fuel bladder is that it is deformable. In a serious crash, that tank is going to split and dump gallons of fuel on the fire. A bladder significantly reduces that risk. Several years ago we were racing at Barber Motorsports Park. One of the cars (a C4 chassis wearing a Packard body) developed a fuel delivery issue on track and stalled in a blind corner. A Miata and a Porsche were contending for first and came around the corner hot before the flag workers could start waving the yellow. The Miata obliterated the rear of the Packard, and the fuel cell was torn from the frame. The case was split open, but the bladder held. Both drivers walked away, albeit sore.

Please put your bladders back in. They truly serve a purpose.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
!!! DO NOT DO THIS !!!

Seriously, the whole point of a fuel bladder is that it is deformable. In a serious crash, that tank is going to split and dump gallons of fuel on the fire. A bladder significantly reduces that risk. Several years ago we were racing at Barber Motorsports Park. One of the cars (a C4 chassis wearing a Packard body) developed a fuel delivery issue on track and stalled in a blind corner. A Miata and a Porsche were contending for first and came around the corner hot before the flag workers could start waving the yellow. The Miata obliterated the rear of the Packard, and the fuel cell was torn from the frame. The case was split open, but the bladder held. Both drivers walked away, albeit sore.

Please put your bladders back in. They truly serve a purpose.
I see your point and it’s important. A circle track or road race cell that has an impact bladder does serve a purpose. I’m talking about your average fuel cell with a foam block to help with fuel slosh and does nothing but cause headaches after awhile.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there are true fuel cells and there are plastic tanks. I have a plastic tank in the Jag, but it's a full two feet in from the massive 1980s rear bumper and has the rear seat firewall between it and the passenger compartment. Still, if I were going to be more proactive about getting the car on track more often, I'd upgrade to a real fuel cell. The foam blocks work, but they only have a 5-year lifespan. We just had to re-foam the fuel cell in our race car. When the foam degrades it plugs your fuel filter.

Our rules allow stock fuel systems, because they're well engineered. If we go to a fuel cell, we can use one of those cheapskate circle track plastic tanks, but it has to be enclosed in a metal case, or it has to be completely sealed away from the passenger compartment. Even in those conditions, the car's gonna get extra scrutiny. If we run an FIA-certified fuel cell with a metal case and deformable bladder we can run it in the passenger compartment. The most-bestest setup is an FIA-certified fuel cell in the trunk.

Last edited: