Cab Mount Replacement Procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep going that extra step of painting them will be worth while. It’s not a bad job, but can go sideways quick. I’m glad yours is going well. Did the door/fender gap clear up?
Not yet, nothing is tightened yet. But I had a thought that maybe the cab shifted forward just a bit during lifting. If possible, I wonder, with a ratchet strap I could try and pull driver’s cab side back just a bit. The door is just bipping the front fender just a bit. I would think it just might go back enough. Thoughts?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not yet, nothing is tightened yet. But I had a thought that maybe the cab shifted forward just a bit during lifting. If possible, I wonder, with a ratchet strap I could try and pull driver’s cab side back just a bit. The door is just bipping the front fender just a bit. I would think it just might go back enough. Thoughts?
I think once you get it tightened the issue will be resolved. I would be surprised if all that shifted forward.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ll see, it does seem to have a wider door to fender gap on driver’s side, which is the binding side.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the cab mounts get replaced the exact same way as if you were installing a body lift.

loosen bolts on all mounts.
remove mount bolts on one side only
jack up vehicle enough to remove the body bushing on the side bolts are removed.
lower down install bolts loosely.
repeat on other side.
tighten all bolts once all mounts are replaced.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the cab mounts get replaced the exact same way as if you were installing a body lift.

loosen bolts on all mounts.
remove mount bolts on one side only
jack up vehicle enough to remove the body bushing on the side bolts are removed.
lower down install bolts loosely.
repeat on other side.
tighten all bolts once all mounts are replaced.
Thanks, they were installed as of yesterday.

murphy455

Reaction score
I searched through most cab mount related posts and if there’s a thread on replacement, I didn’t see it. I also checked YouTube and the videos I saw always seemed to skip over the jacking of cab. Most videos were a waste of time, with issues I don’t have. I kinda remember reading a few years back of someone replacing mounts and using a 4x4 timber when lifting cab or was that being used to tilt bed in a fuel pump replacement. :shrug:
Anyway, who here has done it? I’m thinking with them all loosened up, what is best jacking procedure? I don’t want to just jack in one area and torque and twist the cab unnecessarily. For instance, do you jack the driver side and then say passenger side? Or, is it a rear cab to front jack. And that doesn’t even account for what’s happening to front of truck with the core support mounts.
Take a transmission jack and a board it worked for me loosen bolts first and do one side at a time then start the bolts but don't torque them and do the other side then align it up with bolts then torque them and Dorman has the correct bushings with all of the hardware off rockauto

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a transmission jack and a board it worked for me loosen bolts first and do one side at a time then start the bolts but don't torque them and do the other side then align it up with bolts then torque them and Dorman has the correct bushings with all of the hardware off rockauto
You can’t just read the first post and then skip over everything.
Why would I do that at this point. The new GM factory cab mounts are already in. :D Also, Dorman does NOT make cab mounts for our trucks. They make the front core support mounts, but using them for cab mounts would be a big mistake. The core, the front and the rear mounts are ALL different sizes.

Last edited:

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
You can’t just read the first post and then skip over everything.
Why would I do that at this point. The new GM factory cab mounts are already in. :D Also, Dorman does NOT make cab mounts for our trucks. They make the front core support mounts, but using them for cab mounts would be a big mistake. The core, the front and the rear mounts are ALL different sizes.

Reading is soooooo overrated. :33:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In already? I thought you were cleaning the painting the frame too, or are you doing that with everything bolted down?
I am, kinda doing both at once. Making good progress though. Better now than when it’s 90° and sweating.