Cab Mount Replacement Procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keckerjr

Reaction score
I searched through most cab mount related posts and if there’s a thread on replacement, I didn’t see it. I also checked YouTube and the videos I saw always seemed to skip over the jacking of cab. Most videos were a waste of time, with issues I don’t have. I kinda remember reading a few years back of someone replacing mounts and using a 4x4 timber when lifting cab or was that being used to tilt bed in a fuel pump replacement. :shrug:
Anyway, who here has done it? I’m thinking with them all loosened up, what is best jacking procedure? I don’t want to just jack in one area and torque and twist the cab unnecessarily. For instance, do you jack the driver side and then say passenger side? Or, is it a rear cab to front jack. And that doesn’t even account for what’s happening to front of truck with the core support mounts.
I just completed replacing all the body cushions on my 1996 K1500 extended cab.

First I loosened all 8 nuts, 3 on each side and the 2 under the radiator support.

Then using a 3 foot length of 4"x6" wood timber atop my jack, I carefully lifted up the driver's side of the cab.

I was very careful to avoid pinching or crushing wires, cables, etc.

When the body started lifting, I fully removed the 3 nuts and retainers. I decided to reuse the retainers (think BIG washers), but purchased all new bolts.

After lifting the cab enough to remove the 3 side cusions, I cleaned off all the metal and treated the areas with OSPHO.

After 24 hours of dry time, I sprayed the treated metal with chassis black paint.

Once the areas were completely dry, I installed the top (new) polyurethane cushions and lowered the driver's side fully to compress them.

I then installed the lower cushions and painted retainers and hand tightened the new 12 x 1.25 x 110 mm. grade 8 bolts.

I lowered the jack and timber and followed the same procedure on the passenger side.

After I was satisfied with the 6 side body mounts, I went forward to address the 2 mounts under the radiator support.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All mounts in and torqued. Door shuts fine, and in to cleaning up and painting passenger side frame(frame under bed done last year).
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, yes cab mounts can easily be done in one day, but when cleaning up other stuff and dealing with weather it can drag out. Thanks for all the input.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, yes cab mounts can easily be done in one day, but when cleaning up other stuff and dealing with weather it can drag out. Thanks for all the input.
Took me several nights to do mine. I did the same thing, cleaned and painted while I was in there. It’s definitely a job that you feel good about having done.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once the areas were completely dry, I installed the top (new) polyurethane cushions and lowered the driver's side fully to compress them.
How are you enjoying the poly bushings "cushions?" What brand are they? Energy Suspension perhaps...

keckerjr

Reaction score
How are you enjoying the poly bushings "cushions?" What brand are they? Energy Suspension perhaps...
The Energy Suspension cushions are great.
However, I am having a difficult time torqueing 3 of the 6 body mount bolts to specs without "squishing" a the bottom cushions.
So...it is absolutely imperative to achieve 55 lbs. on every one ?
Should I tighten them until the "squish factor" reveals itself and then STOP ?
PLEASE everyone, I really need some good advice.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Energy Suspension cushions are great.
However, I am having a difficult time torqueing 3 of the 6 body mount bolts to specs without "squishing" a the bottom cushions.
So...it is absolutely imperative to achieve 55 lbs. on every one ?
Should I tighten them until the "squish factor" reveals itself and then STOP ?
PLEASE everyone, I really need some good advice.
55 lbs. and 42 lbs.(core support) are for OEM rubber mounts, are you sure torque for polyurethane is the same?
Edit: Just checked and I guess it’s the same!

Last edited:

keckerjr

Reaction score
55 lbs. and 42 lbs.(core support) are for OEM rubber mounts, are you sure torque for polyurethane is the same?
Edit: Just checked and I guess it’s the same!
When I try to attain 55 ft. lbs. on 3 out of the 6 body mounts, the lower cushion gets distorted.
I even called Energy Suspensions to discuss.
I decided to reclean the bot threads and torque the 3 trouble makers to the 'point of no return'.
Thanks for the advice !