Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the problem with the 4L60 and the 700 before it is asking too much of them. I killed a 700 twice in a K5 on 35s (granted they were boggers) with stock-ish power. I mudded the **** out of the truck, and the trans just wasn't strong enough for what I put it through. After the third rebuild I sold the truck.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can beat the **** out of my LT1 and T56 all day long on the road course with no worries. Both are bone stock. If you subject a 4L60 to that it's game over, so I'm not sure it's fair to say we're expecting too much. If one transmission will take an ass beating, so should the rest of them IMO.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T-56 is a performance oriented transmission. It was designed to get the **** beat out of it....
A 60 was designed for light duty trucks and usually does fine in those applications.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
T-56 is a performance oriented transmission. It was designed to get the **** beat out of it....
A 60 was designed for light duty trucks and usually does fine in those applications.

Agreed, but the 2 were offered alongside one another in the Camaro and Corvette. By that logic, it ought to be equal in toughness IMO.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory service manual states the 4L60E is factory designed for power plants with a high torque limitation. I can find it somewhere. That's why you will not find it behind high horsepower, or high torque vehicles. If in light or medium truck has some tune and deeper pan. Yeah i see new challengers look hot to with a v6. Your corvette camaro comparison wont hold water if look at what you can order. Your not gettin a L19 or a Z06 with 4L60E. And comparing a manual with automatic? Really, I'll put my Muncie M22 Rockcrusher against your t56 anyday. Apples and oranges?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The factory service manual states the 4L60E is factory designed for power plants with a high torque limitation. I can find it somewhere. That's why you will not find it behind high horsepower, or high torque vehicles. If in light or medium truck has some tune and deeper pan. Yeah i see new challengers look hot to with a v6. Your corvette camaro comparison wont hold water if look at what you can order. Your not gettin a L19 or a Z06 with 4L60E. And comparing a manual with automatic? Really, I'll put my Muncie M22 Rockcrusher against your t56 anyday. Apples and oranges?

I'm not gonna lie, your post is kinda all over the place. And I see no fault in comparing auto to manual when they came in the same car with the same motor and one has a reputation for being tough as nails, even when modded, and the other didn't.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we hating on 4l60e do we wanna add nv3500 to the list since they "light duty" also and those have a large hate group

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well this was my thinking before today anyway. I am running 275/60/15, and plan on sticking with that size tires. My truck has about 325 HP, so about 75 ish over stock maybe. I had 342s but now have 373s in the diff. I have a truetrac limited slip in the diff now. So what ever I gained by going to a lower gear ( easier to turn) I may have lost with the LSD because of both tires biting, IDK. But bottom line is, I got over 250,000 miles out of the OE trans, even with my lead foot and the mods I have, so shouldnt I get more than or at least that much millage out of a performance reman. As for going with a 4L80E, well being my daily driver, I really just dont have the time for the truck to be down long enough to get one, not to mention all the extra things thats needed to do that swap. Being down to just the wifes Toyota, it makes it tough to get anything done. I ended up borrowing a friends Ram Megacab. He is all good with me using the truck for as long as I need, but I dont want to abuse that privdladge. I will only go back and forth to work in His Ram. Doing the reman, is the quickest way to get my truck back on the road. Doing the perfornce reman is about the best I can do, so that will have to work.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One more word of caution and I'll shut up, I promise. Kenny, I know you've mentioned that you have a JET handheld programmer. I have no idea if those do any type of transmission shift programming, but if they do I'd suggest that you set it back to factory. I had Black Bear firm up my shifts as much as possible and remove torque management in my tune and I'm pretty sure that's the main reason my rebuilt 4L60E died such an early death. I'm convinced that the 60Es need a little bit of cushion in the shift to keep them alive and I've talked to a few other people who agree. You'll notice a major increase in shift firmness from the hard parts alone anyway without messing with anything in the tune.