Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
25 years ago a 700R4 was a legit swap for older Chevys. Then people figured out how to get the 200R4 to hold up behind the Buick GNs, and it became the hot swap.

After their initial teething problems, I think the 700s were a great transmission, it's just our expectations that have changed. People now want a transmission that can handle stupid levels of abuse that we didn't do back then, along with 100% reliability and no maintenance. Look at tow ratings between then and now. We want it all, and we want it now!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I just got back from the trans shop. He said around $2500 plus tax. He will do some kind of supper clutchs and bands, with hardened sun shells, and corvette servos. I said also change that leaking rear main seal while your in there. He said the clutches and bands will hold up better than kevlor, much better. He said I should have it back before next weekend. As for telling the wife all the details, well She dont really need to know everything. The difference in a standard reman, and a performance reman is only a few hundred bucks. The trans shop owner said I will be happy once its done. My wife wouldnt understand the difference anyway.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
6-G is that odd position too, isn't? You can probably do any welding underneath your truck, overhead position without a lift?
6-G is 2, 6" sch 80 pipes beveled and set on a fixed 45° angle. Once you tack the test pipes, you set them to the 45° and then you can not rotate it. So its a fixed position. The pipe is about 5/8 thick, so it takes a root pass of 5-P, t grind, then a hot pass of 5-P then you have to grind again, and fill with 7018. All passes are a stacked well of 7018. Once your done about 4 or 5 hours after you start, they ether do an X-Ray or a bend test. On the X-Ray you cant have any imperfections. On the bend test, its 4 sections cut out of the pipe long ways. This puts the weld on a bar 1-1/2" wide and about 10 inches or so long. The weld is in the center of that. Its bent on a press around a 1" bar into a U shape. The weld bead is at the center of that bend, and they bend 2 sections at one time. The curve of the pipe is up on one section, and down on the other section. The do this twice. So 4 sections of your weld is bent tested. It that U bend cracks more than 1/8" you fail. They also grind the weld flat on a belt sander before then bend the test parts. This test can also be done with wire feed, and TIG.

Sam Cooper

Reaction score
Well I just got back from the trans shop. He said around $2500 plus tax. He will do some kind of supper clutchs and bands, with hardened sun shells, and corvette servos. I said also change that leaking rear main seal while your in there. He said the clutches and bands will hold up better than kevlor, much better. He said I should have it back before next weekend. As for telling the wife all the details, well She dont really need to know everything. The difference in a standard reman, and a performance reman is only a few hundred bucks. The trans shop owner said I will be happy once its done. My wife wouldnt understand the difference anyway.

Kenny, if the transmission shop does the heavy duty upgrades to your 4L60e, you should be happy with it. It sounds like he is on the right track. Is he going to include the TransGo heavy duty builders kit? It will help the trans live longer. I used to own a transmission shop and have quite a bit of experience with these. I also have a big block truck with 4L80e. The 4L80s have also been known to have third gear bang and kill the direct clutches. For the record, the 4L60 is an evolved turbo 350 while the 4L80 is an evolved turbo 400. The strength differential between them is consistent with their earlier non-overdrive predecessors. I have a built 700R4 behind a built 400 small block in my Int. Scout and it's quite happy. The 4L60 is generally an electronic controlled 700R4, with some other updates. Be mindful of the intended use of your vehicle and you should be okay.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kenny, if the transmission shop does the heavy duty upgrades to your 4L60e, you should be happy with it. It sounds like he is on the right track. Is he going to include the TransGo heavy duty builders kit? It will help the trans live longer. I used to own a transmission shop and have quite a bit of experience with these. I also have a big block truck with 4L80e. The 4L80s have also been known to have third gear bang and kill the direct clutches. For the record, the 4L60 is an evolved turbo 350 while the 4L80 is an evolved turbo 400. The strength differential between them is consistent with their earlier non-overdrive predecessors. I have a built 700R4 behind a built 400 small block in my Int. Scout and it's quite happy. The 4L60 is generally an electronic controlled 700R4, with some other updates. Be mindful of the intended use of your vehicle and you should be okay.

What is the part number for that Transgo kit, and would it be OK for a daily driver in stop and go traffic?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think he said it is the HD rebuild kit. I told Him, I have a lead foot, and run the hell out of the truck. I need to hold up to me pushing the truck hard. Im at about 325 HP, so its not a beast, but I just rebuilt the rear end with a truetrac and some 373s so the truck does jump to attention from a dead stop. I am going to push that, and I need it to hold up to that for a long time. Also in the distant future, I will rebuild the engine with a cam and head swap. He said you wont have a problem out of the trans. It will hold up to whatever you throw at it. 500 HP, no problem. He also said the kit He uses is for longevity. Yes the kevlor bands and clutches do bite a little better, but wont hold up as well. I said yes, longevity is what I need.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh man...

I hope you have better luck than I did. The last 4L60E build I paid for was around the same price, and the parts list was similar except I used billet servos for both positions instead of just the Corvette servo. My V6 still killed it. If you beat on the truck like you say I can't imagine this going well in the long run. Hope I'm wrong.

EDIT - Reposting this, it's relevant again.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh man...

I hope you have better luck than I did. The last 4L60E build I paid for was around the same price, and the parts list was similar except I used billet servos for both positions instead of just the Corvette servo. My V6 still killed it. If you beat on the truck like you say I can't imagine this going well in the long run. Hope I'm wrong.

EDIT - Reposting this, it's relevant again.

You must be registered for see images attach
All I can do at this point is hope for the best. The reason I picked this guy, is because of the ties He has to our shop. He swears up and down that He can make it work. He has been there for IDK like 30 + years. He drag races. I dont think He is FOS, at least I hope not anyway. The owner of our shop talks good about Him. Our shop owner has had several trans redone there through the years. Never a failure. He has a ton of work, so He can be all bad or He woundnt have the business he does.