Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your trucks rear end assembly will last forever now, might as well go for the trans that lives happily in 1-ton trucks.
And I'd say "$15,000 is bottom dollar for the truck."
Thanks for the comp. Your the 2ed person to tell me its worth $15,000.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So just throwing this out there... I went ahead and checked car-part.com using a New Orleans area code. A-OK Salvage in Eunice, LA has three 2WD 4L80Es in stock. One out of a '98 and two '97s. No prices listed but their phone number is 337-457-8085.

I wonder why it went boom though. I never had a trans bit the dust like that before. Guess I will find out soon enough.

Because it's a 4L60E of course!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Kenny, you sure you still have a bowtie on the front of your truck? Sounds like it's trying to turn into an oval LOL. Probably what happened is the new rear end took any wear away from the driveline, and the transmission wasn't happy.

I think it knew it was in for some tomfoolery with the new diff and called it quits.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The shift solenoids are infamous for going bad. Easy fix. Drop the pan and bolt the new ones in. Perhaps look into that first.

If the trans is really smoked I would recommend the 4L80E as well. It will cost more up front but there will be now question of the durability.