Alternators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95 GMC SCSB 5.7 TBI

I've been looking at alternators for the above truck, thoughts/opintions on the Remey Gold or the Bosch?! Source will be from RA

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just picked up from the pull a part a 145 amp factory ad244 from a 2004 yukon. It seems to be doing well so far. Only mod for me (TBI motor) was bend the lifting tab back for alternator to clear, and open up the mounting holes of the mount about 1/8” for the bolts to line up better. You may need new (longer) bolts as well

I also coupled it with a longer serpentine belt for the larger casing
K060956HD gates

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Relevant comments about alternators in this thread, particularly this one:

Here's a link to the beginning of the thread:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After installing dual electric fans, and having a 680 watt amp, I looked at my options on alt. After much research, and realizing that the weak spot in my truck, was at idle. So I ended up doing a smaller drive pulley for the alt. This makes the alt spin faster at idle. It solved all of my issues. AC on, headlights on, fans on, at night, and stereo cranked, I'm at 13 volts at idle. Before I was at 9 volts. So it all boils down to, your needs, and what your trying to accomplish. Fo me, the smaller drive pulley was the answer. I like @jus10inbrla idea, and use our local pull a part a lot. There is 1 in my town, and I know there is at least 1 in his town. We are only about 50 miles apart.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 95 is tbi rite? So u have a factory cs130 95/105 amp. Yea ; the ad244 fits. And as I mentioned it is a factory 145. Just open those mounting holes and get u some longer bolts. And the longer belt. The ad244 charges better and you dont have that open fan to cut your fingee off!

Just make sure the ad244 is the 4 pin and not 2 pin. RPO code KG3 is the one you want . It will go up to 2005/2006 in some vehicles. In 2011 it resurfaced but has a 2 pin.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I remember, on the 1995 and earlier trucks either OE alternator (~100 or ~125A) had one strut from the alternator to an exhaust manifold stud, and possibly another from the alternator to the intake manifold, to add stability.

GM evidently didn't believe that bracket could hold either alternator w/o additional support.

Maybe the need was on account of the R4 compressor tugging on the belt / alternator pulley with every On cycle... so an "AC only" issue.

Maybe it was something else.

But they put those struts on there, and they would have saved themselves the expense if they didn't think it was necessary.

Last edited:

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep there was additional support on the cs130 alternator. Mine cracked off several years ago. Alternator did just fine with the two mounting points. And when i started looking at doing a ad244 upgrade, it didnt even use that third mount point anyway.