Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well this was my thinking before today anyway. I am running 275/60/15, and plan on sticking with that size tires. My truck has about 325 HP, so about 75 ish over stock maybe. I had 342s but now have 373s in the diff. I have a truetrac limited slip in the diff now. So what ever I gained by going to a lower gear ( easier to turn) I may have lost with the LSD because of both tires biting, IDK. But bottom line is, I got over 250,000 miles out of the OE trans, even with my lead foot and the mods I have, so shouldnt I get more than or at least that much millage out of a performance reman. As for going with a 4L80E, well being my daily driver, I really just dont have the time for the truck to be down long enough to get one, not to mention all the extra things thats needed to do that swap. Being down to just the wifes Toyota, it makes it tough to get anything done. I ended up borrowing a friends Ram Megacab. He is all good with me using the truck for as long as I need, but I dont want to abuse that privdladge. I will only go back and forth to work in His Ram. Doing the reman, is the quickest way to get my truck back on the road. Doing the perfornce reman is about the best I can do, so that will have to work.

Can you lay out exactly how you came up with your 325hp figure? I suspect it's quite optimistic.

One more word of caution and I'll shut up, I promise. Kenny, I know you've mentioned that you have a JET handheld programmer. I have no idea if those do any type of transmission shift programming, but if they do I'd suggest that you set it back to factory. I had Black Bear firm up my shifts as much as possible and remove torque management in my tune and I'm pretty sure that's the main reason my rebuilt 4L60E died such an early death. I'm convinced that the 60Es need a little bit of cushion in the shift to keep them alive and I've talked to a few other people who agree. You'll notice a major increase in shift firmness from the hard parts alone anyway without messing with anything in the tune.

You can shorten up the shift times no problemo as long as you leave torque reduction intact. TR really isn't that noticeable on these trucks. It was very noticeable on the Ford Super Duty trucks I've driven. I don't know if a light duty truck trans could survive without it behind 800+ lb of torque.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can shorten up the shift times no problemo as long as you leave torque reduction intact. TR really isn't that noticeable on these trucks. It was very noticeable on the Ford Super Duty trucks I've driven. I don't know if a light duty truck trans could survive without it behind 800+ lb of torque.

Yeah, we've chatted about this before. I suspect you're probably right but I'm just gun shy about any kind of tuning involving a 4L60E after my ordeal. And like I said, you'll notice a bigger improvement in shift firmness and speed from the hard parts like the servos than you will from any amount of PCM tuning. At least that was my experience.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One more word of caution and I'll shut up, I promise. Kenny, I know you've mentioned that you have a JET handheld programmer. I have no idea if those do any type of transmission shift programming, but if they do I'd suggest that you set it back to factory. I had Black Bear firm up my shifts as much as possible and remove torque management in my tune and I'm pretty sure that's the main reason my rebuilt 4L60E died such an early death. I'm convinced that the 60Es need a little bit of cushion in the shift to keep them alive and I've talked to a few other people who agree. You'll notice a major increase in shift firmness from the hard parts alone anyway without messing with anything in the tune.
Everyone advice is grate. Whether I take it or not. As for the programmer, yes it firms up the shift a little. It not a hard shift, just a quicker shift. I told this to the trans shop owner. He said it wont matter. I am ok to leave it set on the firmer shift settings. Its not enough difference to hurt anything or so he said anyway. I like every ones input. Thats one of the reasons Im on these forums.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, we've chatted about this before. I suspect you're probably right but I'm just gun shy about any kind of tuning involving a 4L60E after my ordeal. And like I said, you'll notice a bigger improvement in shift firmness and speed from the hard parts like the servos than you will from any amount of PCM tuning. At least that was my experience.

Programmed shift changes require a bit of learning to take hold, but you're right. My 1500 has a shift kit and the dually does not. Both are programmed to shift much quicker but I left TR in the dually as it makes a good bit more torque. Guess which one cuts loose on a WOT 1-2 shift when it's cold or wet out though?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You may be correct. 325 HP is an estemate of the mods I have,the way the truck runs, and what I have raced it against in the past. I have always been able to out run a 5.3L in my truck after the performance mods, at least up to a 2013. Yes, I know the 2013 is a heaver truck, but like I said its a best guess. I was running a 15 second 1/4 mile with the 342s. You know a little bit here, a little bit there, it all adds up. I have about 40 mods on the truck. Not all are performance related but i do have a bunch that are. I have done so much to the truck over the years that I had to sit down and try to remember what all Ive done. Thats where I came up with 40 mods. That the ones I van remember anyway.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I actually looked up the Ramjet again. I thought it was rated at 325, but it's actually rated at 345. What's your exhaust configuration? Before the blower I had long tubes, full exhaust, Ramjet cam, 1.6:1 roller rockers, and the 411 PCM. By my math I was around 300hp max and close to 400# of torque. Had I done the marine intake without blower, I suspect hp would have climbed a little and torque stayed the same. Reason being the stock cam just isn't big enough for much, if anything over 300hp. The stock intake with spider further restricts top end.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I said before the 4L60E has an engineered limitation on the maximum amount of torque it can absorb and endure. A rebuilt with stonger internals would give it a new second long life. And adding fluid cooler or larger capacity cooler extends life and parts. Good luck.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie, your post is kinda all over the place. And I see no fault in comparing auto to manual when they came in the same car with the same motor and one has a reputation for being tough as nails, even when modded, and the other didn't.
Good your not lying, if I'm all over the place, catch up. The 4L60E is what it is. It's not a beefed up tubohydra 400 behind an 454 LS6. For those to young to know, a big block chevelle 445 to 456 horsepower. I gave you some good examples. Oh well. I drove a Regal grand national for a while it never had any problems was fun. Factory does... Screw it