Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I said before the 4L60E has an engineered limitation on the maximum amount of torque it can absorb and endure. A rebuilt with stonger internals would give it a new second long life. And adding fluid cooler or larger capacity cooler extends life and parts. Good luck.
I already have a trans cooler, so Im good there.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've blown the trans to a boom lol. If I remember correctly it was one of the carriers I blew:)
The trans shop owner said its most likely the sun shell that gave up. He is putting new heat treated
ones in it.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Kenny, do you get to see the faces of the 5.3l drivers you beat with "that old 350"? I bet it's priceless.
Your logic for doing what you're doing is solid. Hopefully the rebuild will last for a couple 100k. Hell, if we all had unlimited funds every single one of these GMT400s would be a lot different! Keep telling the wife this is still cheaper than buying a new car or truck.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I prefer the 4l80e in my 3/4 ton, it seems like the 4l60e is fine for lighter duty, which is what your truck sees.

The 4l60e in my 2006 - Blackbear tuned it with stock tq management on the regular program, than tow/haul eliminates tq management. The truck just doesn't have enough power to make much of a difference either way. What I mean is, it isn't fun enough to make a difference.

Without boost or a big block, its just a truck.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kenny, do you get to see the faces of the 5.3l drivers you beat with "that old 350"? I bet it's priceless.
Your logic for doing what you're doing is solid. Hopefully the rebuild will last for a couple 100k. Hell, if we all had unlimited funds every single one of these GMT400s would be a lot different! Keep telling the wife this is still cheaper than buying a new car or truck.
Man, I could not agree more, thats what Ive been telling my wife. Its a lot cheaper than a new truck. As for the 5.3L guys LOL, yes, I do getto see there face after I beat them. Its priceless. Not only them, my old truck supprises a lot of people. I raced a F-250 once and spanked that ass. I didnt know the guy at all, and we were on the HWY, so we couldnt just pull over. He would nail it, and I would nail it from about 40 up. I just keep pulling away, time after time. I would slow down, and He would try again, but I just keep spanking Him. After about the 4 th time, His passenger puts down the window, and we screaming and beating on there door, tring to get my to talk with them. Like what the hell did you do to that truck. It was funny as hell, I just keep ignoring them but every time they would nail it, so would I. When I was working offshore, the crane operator bought a new 2013 southern comfort package 1500 crew cab with a 5.3l. He was bragging on the truck. Him and the mechinic rode together taking turns driving. The mechanic told Him, that my truck was faster than His, but he just wouldnt listen. We were in a safety meeting, and here I am drawing a pic of my tail gate. Once Im finished drawing it, I nugged him and said look, this is what your going to see in the way home as I pulled the pic away from his face. I said thats how Im guna leave you on the way home. Sure enough, as he would nail it,I did the same thing to him, that I did to that F-250. Every time I would see that front end lift in that 2013, I would nail it and pull away. The one that gave me a hard time was that mechanic. He had a 2013 Denali with a 6.2L. He just had more power than me. Simple as that. I fixed that though. After 100 MPH, I keep it to the floor, at about 110 I start pulling away. I keep it floored to 5200 RPMs in OD. I knew that Denali would cut off somewhere around 110. It took a long time for my speed O to start read again. It was pegged on 100 for a good ways. I have been 140 MPH a lot of times when I had my 1973 Challenger. Best guess of how fast I was going at 5200 RPMs would be some where around 140 MPH, but thats a guess. Here is the thing. Is my truck fast, well that depends. It runs good for what it is. That 2019 vette had no issues coming around me Sunday when I was doing 98 MPH on that run, but I was able to keep up with everyone. Im not going to out run a newer Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, ECT, but that turbo Hundi Sonata better watch out at that green light, LOL.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 100 MPH, I keep it to the floor, at about 110 I start pulling away. I keep it floored to 5200 RPMs in OD. I knew that Denali would cut off somewhere around 110. It took a long time for my speed O to start read again. It was pegged on 100 for a good ways.
So, can I change my mind now? You might need that 4L80.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont work offshore any more, so no long 4 hour drives to some dock at the end of no where. Its not often I join in with the guys who drive newish vetts, camaros, and some classics too. They have a run just about every weekend. They taks a 1 to 3 hour run through the back roads of Louisiana, and do sometimes wind those cars up. I have only followed them twice. They are more than happy to have me tag along. All are welcome. Its fun, but there again, I dont need to kill my truck. For most of those guys, its there toy that they are driving. As mentioned before, mine is my daily driver. Im not saying I wont go on another run with them, Im sure I will, but it wont be a regular thing. Lol my wife said last night, I act like Im 17. Well shes rite I guess, but hey, if you cant have fun in life a little, what the point. One of the vette guys is 84, and he still driver the crap out of his vette.

Anthony Ray

Reaction score
Just read this post. Thank you for the info you wrote on your tranny build with the 4L60E. I'm in the process of having my 97 tahoe; 5.7 stroked to 383 CI, scat forged internals , GM fast brun heads and topped with an edelbrock Pro Flo 4XT EFI. The rear end is being done with a Detroit locker 30 spline 373 gears. When done the guy said ill be pushing 450hp. I will see if it does.