Not starting after doing a De-Carb on engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheKOOK

Reaction score
I really need help! Yesterday I did an engine de-carb on my 1988 k2500 at work. Nothin unusual happened while i did the de-carb and I even drove it home after without any issues. However after letting it sit all night i went to start it this afternoon and it doesn't crank I only here the starter spinning and when I checked the engine I can smell gas and I can see fuel leaking from under the throttle body spacer. Did i lock up my engine?

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gm top end cleaner or seafoam I assume.

i always change my plugs after doing a top end clean, usually fouls. them. normally your suppose to add the cleaner gradually then when nearing the end of the bottle stall the engine and let it sit overnight.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
i went to start it this afternoon and it doesn't crank....

So the engine is not turning over or isn't firing?

I only here the starter spinning...

If the engine isn't turning over, and the starter is spinning, then the pinion gear must not be engaging.

...and when I checked the engine I can smell gas and I can see fuel leaking from under the throttle body spacer.

I don't know the TBI system well enough to know what could be going on here. My experience is with later engines.

Did i lock up my engine?

Since it ran after spraying whatever down the throttle body, the only possibility I can think of would be if the fuel somehow kept spraying after the truck was off, and absolutely flooded the intake manifold, but that's nothing I've ever heard of happening.

TheKOOK

Reaction score
it is cranking over its just not starting i checked for spark by plugging in a spark tester i had and turned it over I noticed the spark was dark orange. So i pulled some of the spark plugs and noticed they were very wet. Could this be seafoam that is trapped in the intake manifold and coating the spark plugs?

TheKOOK

Reaction score
Also I read that pushing the pedal all the way to the floor and starting it will put into a "flooded mode" so I tried that and when im cranking it a fireball will shoot out of the throttle body.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably glazed the plugs. Pull all the plugs. Remove the coil wire from the dist. cap and ground it. Remove the injector wires. Hold the throttle to the floor and crank it for about ten seconds to dry the intake and cylinders. Install new plugs and hook everything back up. Should fire right up!