'94 C1500 Crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atradef

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for another "crank no start" thread but I really need some advice.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

For one, we've been having issues with the battery. Battery test came back as "bad battery" yesterday but I charged it and it engine was cranking/turning really well but would not start - which means it's not a battery issue (correct me if I'm wrong).
Today (1 day later), it's a pretty different behavior (in the video). Maybe what I'm seeing today is due to bad battery after all (you can kind of hear it dying toward the end).
I'm a bit of a novice so any advice is appreciated.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My rule of thumb. I always put the largest dimension battery that will fit in my vehicles, that has the most cranking amps. Both trucks currently have 1100 crank amp batteries.
After new fully charged battery. Start with basics. Got spark? Bright hot blue lightning? When cranking got fuel spray? . Shot of either, crank , run? Then decide where to go.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My rule of thumb. I always put the largest dimension battery that will fit in my vehicles, that has the most cranking amps. Both trucks currently have 1100 crank amp batteries.
After new fully charged battery. Start with basics. Got spark? Bright hot blue lightning? When cranking got fuel spray? . Shot of either, crank , run? Then decide where to go.
2X on bigger batteries. Learned this the hard way, in Gulf Coast heat and humidity. They will not last if you skimp on them!
Also, just because the battery may be fairly new, it could still be bad. I went through this on my crew cab last week. Battery only 18 months old, but was going bad. Left me stranded, got a jump, found out it was going bad and was still under the free replacement warranty. So I swapped it out.
But you also need to check all the connections, particularly at the battery and where the ground cable goes. These trucks do not like bad grounds.....

atradef

Reaction score
Well, I haven't gotten a chance to fix a single thing but I went back today (a week later) and it started up like a champ. So that's the good news, the bad news is that something intermittent must be going on.