Transfer case seal is killing me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
That looks better! I would do a couple of oil changes on the xfer case about 100 miles apart. It would help to flush out any grunge gently. In fact if you can take it apart to look around it might not be a bad idea. If the input screen for the pump gets clogged up it'll tear up pretty fast. Not a full rebuild just a good scrubbing inside. I did a 263? last year and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I would just take the rubber thingy (too technical?) off, wipe it off and check for damage. It's prolly fine. If you put a smidge of gasket sealer (I like Gasgacinch) on the seal before you put it on it should be fine. Check after 100 miles for seepage. Don't put sealer in the hole only on the seal itself because the excess will be pushed into the t case.

Bear Down

Reaction score
I would just take the rubber thingy (too technical?) off, wipe it off and check for damage. It's prolly fine. If you put a smidge of gasket sealer (I like Gasgacinch) on the seal before you put it on it should be fine. Check after 100 miles for seepage. Don't put sealer in the hole only on the seal itself because the excess will be pushed into the t case.

cool beans, thanks. So with the sealant those dings shouldn’t be a problem, if I’m understanding correctly?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad angle on the photo I believe that’s a rubber bushing on the end of the shaft

You must be registered for see images attach
Much better. I couldn't really tell in the first pic but it looked like the t case was making silver metal paste. odd angle/shadow/depth perception.

gordonm1

Reaction score
I know, I had to go back in the garage and check it lol
My 1991 WT v6 5spd had a leaking rear output shaft seal. I nicked up the housing and used oil resistant gasket/rtv in the housing on my second try. Then I noticed the yoke/output shaft cap/plug was leaking and cleaned and sealed it with the rtv from the outside(did not take apart). It's dry now but next u joint may redo these seals properly

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Good evening buddy got it out did make a few marks on the inside. Should I be concerned with them?

I would have bet my left nut I saw a lip in the picture. Glad you got it out, sorry for the bad advice.