Transfer Case Fluid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the driveshaft back out and the cap off. My question is how do I go about reattaching the bearing? Does it snap in or just sit there? Does it go in a certain way?
Pics? Because I don't understand what bearing you're referring to with respect to the driveshaft. Center bearing? Needle bearing on the U-joint?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pics? Because I don't understand what bearing you're referring to with respect to the driveshaft. Center bearing? Needle bearing on the U-joint?
Needle bearing inside the caps that go on the ujoint to the rear differential. One of the bearings fell down into the cap and for putting it back does it just sit there or click in? And does it matter which way it goes, does a certain side need to be up or anything?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Needle bearing inside the caps that go on the ujoint to the rear differential. One of the bearings fell down into the cap and for putting it back does it just sit there or click in? And does it matter which way it goes, does a certain side need to be up or anything?
It's just going to lay in the grease. Just needs to be flush with the other needle bearings. No click in or anything. Put it in, push the cap onto the U-joint, then rotate the cap lightly back and forth a few times. That should ensure the needle is set. (Of course, make sure the needle bearing is clean before you put it in the cap.)

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's just going to lay in the grease. Just needs to be flush with the other needle bearings. No click in or anything. Put it in, push the cap onto the U-joint, then rotate the cap lightly back and forth a few times. That should ensure the needle is set. (Of course, make sure the needle bearing is clean before you put it in the cap.)
Great thank you!

I also noticed in my other cap the needles were all seated fine but I did find a metal ball from one of the bearing... Im guessing I should replace the ujoint soon.