Valve seals replacement updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Next step for my girl's 1990 K2500 5.7 is the valve stem seals replacement. Have done this job before on other trucks/cars, over the years. I have always used air in the cylinder to keep the valve up during the spring removal and seal replacement. I no longer have a large air compressor at home. Just a small 3 gallon one that is noisey as hell. My shop owner friend has a different method that her uses. He gets the piston down and then uses the clear very flexible small silicone hose/tubing and shoves it in the spark plug hole and leaves a tail out of the hole. Then rotates the piston to top dead center and that holds the valves closed while he does the seal replacement.

If there is any other new method that others of you use, please share here. Thanks

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next step for my girl's 1990 K2500 5.7 is the valve stem seals replacement. Have done this job before on other trucks/cars, over the years. I have always used air in the cylinder to keep the valve up during the spring removal and seal replacement. I no longer have a large air compressor at home. Just a small 3 gallon one that is noisey as hell. My shop owner friend has a different method that her uses. He gets the piston down and then uses the clear very flexible small silicone hose/tubing and shoves it in the spark plug hole and leaves a tail out of the hole. Then rotates the piston to top dead center and that holds the valves closed while he does the seal replacement.

If there is any other new method that others of you use, please share here. Thanks
I have heard of that or a piece of rope, does the same thing. I understand the concern a 3 gal. compressor could keep stuff in place. Piece of clothesline etc stuffed in.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have heard of that or a piece of rope, does the same thing. I understand the concern a 3 gal. compressor could keep stuff in place. Piece of clothesline etc stuffed in.
The rope thing actually keeps the valve in place so you can depress the retainer and release the keepers. Rope will frizz up and burn the remnants.