Transfer case seal is killing me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Having a hell of a time with this output shaft seal replacement. It appears that the current seal is recessed inside. I believe it should have had a lip like the replacement seal I purchased. can’t seem to remove it with any seal tool with possibly causing damage to the surrounding area. Has anyone seen this or have any tips/tools suggestion that would be helpful?

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
There is a lip on that seal. You need to get under it. I use a small chisel and just try and get the edge even with the case. If you nick the case a little bit it will not harm and thing, it does not seal where the lip is.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hammer a tiny screwdriver in between the seal in the case, you're not gonna hurt anything. Or keep prying on it with a seal pry tool. get it hooked good and give it a solid hit with your hand. it will come out

Bear Down

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas. Just so I understand I can place a pry tool of sort between the seal and case (arrow on the image) I’ve nicked the surrounding edge twice as shown in the image

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Go to the 3:40 minute mark. Different location exact same technique.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bear Down

Reaction score
So it appears on the video there is a lip. Is it that I just don’t see it because its flush?

Bear Down

Reaction score
Gave it a go, worked around the edge, didn’t find a lip. I think I might have an issue because I know there should be a lip but it appears to be case. Take a look?