Transfer case seal is killing me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Drill a small hole in the metal of the seal, 1/16 or something small. Screw a drywall screw in the hole, not very deep. Hook a pair of vice grips to it and peck on the with a hammer. A slide hammer works wonders in these situations, or even an old body dent puller.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I've even purposely destroyed the metal part of the seal by driving it in with a hammer and a punch, just so I could get behind it easily. Just take your time and don't damage you transfer case.

Bear Down

Reaction score
In your opinion from the pictures I provide have i did damage to the case specifically where the lip should be I believe I can get it out but I’ve made some indentation marks in that area.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Amazon.com: Lisle 56750 Seal Puller: Automotive. A drill hole and a dent puller also works well on recessed seals like that. I use an old school ice pick and just tap a hole and thread the puller in.

When you get rough with a seal getting it out make sure you didn't leave the spring that's on the oil side of the seal sitting inside. They can come loose from the seal.

Last edited:

Bear Down

Reaction score
Amazon.com: Lisle 56750 Seal Puller: Automotive. A drill hole and a dent puller also works well on recessed seals like that. I use an old school ice pick and just tap a hole and thread the puller in.

When you get rough with a seal getting it out make sure you didn't leave the spring that's on the oil side of the seal sitting inside. They can come loose from the seal.
I’ve been looking at the Lisle. I’m gonna give this hole drill method a shot first. Thanks for the advice about that spring too

Bear Down

Reaction score

Good evening buddy got it out did make a few marks on the inside. Should I be concerned with them?

You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Me thinks what looks like shrapnel inside is the cause for the seal failure and the bigger problem.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Me thinks what looks like shrapnel inside is the cause for the seal failure and the bigger problem.

I thought that was grease, not so?