99 OBS Transfer Case Output Shaft O-Ring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 2 Door with push button 4x4. Every Chevy I’ve ever seen leaked out of the transfer case.

I’ve gone down the rabbit hole trying to figure out what’s going on. The usual fix is people replace the seal where the slip yoke enters the transfer case.

Only to keep replacing it. Others have figured out to try and make sure the plug in the slip yoke isn’t leaking. Still only to be disappointed.

What I recall from 20 years ago is that what fixed mine back then was replacing an o-ring on the transfer case output shaft.

Someone a friend knew did it, so I don’t recall exactly how to do it & can’t find a YouTube video on it.

I’m sure I could figure it out, I don’t remember it being difficult at all.

Pull drive shaft, remove tail housing, not sure after that.

What I’m also not sure of is what o-ring to buy.

My plan is to replace the o-ring, replace the seal on the tail housing, and check the yoke plug.

Just curious if anyone knows what o-ring to get & if they have any specific advice on the job I should know ahead of time.

Thanks.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually normal for the transfer case to leak at the extension housing (#4). The reason is that the extension housing seal (#1) has a weep hole in it (the hole located at the 8 o' clock position in the image below).

Edit: Or, maybe the weep hole allows the owner to notice when it actually starts leaking.(???)

You must be registered for see images attach

Now, between the extension housing (#4) and the bearing retainer (#8), there's supposed to be sealant, so if it's leaking there, it needs to be diassembled, cleaned, and sealant re-applied.

Aside from that, I don't know of any O-ring in that area.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part #2 in the above diagram is the tailshaft bushing and was the culprit when I was dealing with this issue.

This video is a good illustration of replacing said bushing:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of all the years Ive been dealing with 4wd's, (35 years) I never had a t-case leak. If RnR'n a t-case, I put a new gasket with sillycone, and maybe a seal. Never had one leak anywhere else. Maybe the sand gets in places n chews the seals. Dunno. Don't have sand here lol...

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part #2 in the above diagram is the tailshaft bushing and was the culprit when I was dealing with this issue.

This video is a good illustration of replacing said bushing:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think it must’ve been the combo of the bushing o-ring my 20 year old memory was recalling.

Now I just gotta figure out what bushing pushers to use….