Rebuild transfer case or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a reminder… Recently resurrected ’95 K1500 5.7 Sierra that had sat for 12 years. 120k miles. NP 241C transfer case.

Transfer case seems to be functioning just fine, but it is leaking fluid where the two halves of the case bolt together. The leak certainly isn’t extreme, but leaves a drop or two every time I park it. I’m considering rebuilding the transfer case just because I want to eliminate the leak. Rebuild kit is only about $250.00. One side of me is saying that it wouldn’t be money wasted, as bearings, seals, chain with 120k miles on them would probably like a refresh. But the other side of me says that if it works, don’t fix it. Check the fluid level every few months to see how it’s doing.

Advice and thoughts from the masses???

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a Treasure Yard transfer case, pull it apart for cleaning and inspection. Rebuilt it, or maybe just reseal the thing--depends on what you find inside. Swap with the one you have. Downtime is about one day.

The one you have now can come apart for inspection. Maybe all it needs is a gasket kit and the lil' plastic pads for the shift-forks.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a Treasure Yard transfer case, pull it apart for cleaning and inspection. Rebuilt it, or maybe just reseal the thing--depends on what you find inside. Swap with the one you have. Downtime is about one day.

The one you have now can come apart for inspection. Maybe all it needs is a gasket kit and the lil' plastic pads for the shift-forks.
Hmmmm…. I never really considered just picking up another transfer case to build. Something to consider.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For something like this i normally buy a used one and rebuild it. The old one that i take out will get rebuilt and put on the shelf. When i want to raise some funds for a project ill sell it.