Transfer Case Fluid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all, replacing the transfer case output shaft seal on my 94 K1500. Im going to drain the fluid and put new stuff in. I know it calls for Dexron III but could I get away with using Dexron VI? I have like 3 quarts of VI laying around and dont feel like spending extra to get the III. Thanks!

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ATF is always forward compatible.
So anything that took Dex III can use Dex IV.
Not sure what transfercase you have but i run Synthetic 5W30 in my NP263HD.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d use Dexron III, it’s pretty cheap at any auto parts store and you only need 2 quarts or so. I think there’s a bulletin from GM somewhere saying not to put Dexron VI in the transfer cases since it’s much thinner. It was designed to be backwards compatible for transmissions, not t-cases.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks, yeah its probably worth purchasing Dex III rather than risking damaging the tcase with Dex VI

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ATF is always forward compatible.
So anything that took Dex III can use Dex IV.
Not sure what transfercase you have but i run Synthetic 5W30 in my NP263HD.
The identification badge is not on mine, but I believe its a NP241C as it's a 1500 with a 4l60e.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
think there’s a bulletin from GM somewhere saying not to put Dexron VI in the transfer cases since it’s much thinner. It was designed to be backwards compatible for transmissions, not t-cases.

This is correct, GM recommends against using Dexron 6 in transfer cases and power steering systems that originally called for Dexron 3.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well then. I got that all wrong. Even got the compatibility wording wrong. :(

I've used dex iii, dex iv and 5w30 in xcases...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a link to the GM TSB, it's a PDF download.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=307128&d=1325712075

And since GM doesn't produce/license Dexron 3 any longer, if you want an official GM fluid for your Dexron 3 transfer case they recommend part number 88861800 "Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid." For Dexron 3 power steering systems they recommend part number 9985010 "Power Steering Fluid."

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've used dex iii, dex iv and 5w30 in xcases...

To be fair, I'm about 50% sure that the transfer case in my Suburban is running Dexron 6 at the moment and has been for a couple of years now. My mechanic assures me that he was aware of this bulletin and didn't use the Dex 6 I provided when they refilled the case, but the amount of fluid I got back makes me think the tech working on it didn't know. Nothing has leaked and my 4WD still works great, but next time I change fluid in the transfer case I'll be making sure it gets Dexron 3 or equivalent.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone even seen Dex III around anywhere in the last few years? anyone got a line on where to get it? All I see is the Dex/Merc compatible stuff.