Transfer Case Fluid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
anyone even seen Dex III around anywhere in the last few years? anyone got a line on where to get it? All I see is the Dex/Merc compatible stuff.

I mentioned this a couple posts back, but GM is no longer licensing or producing it. I think the Dex/Merc compatible stuff is about the best you're going to get other than the GM part numbers I posted earlier for specific systems.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was shown a little trick to fully flush the 4L60E transmission also. Find a tired old radiator in a wreck with an automatic transmission and harvest the UPPER transmission fluid line that is connected to it. That upper transmission fluid line is the radiator outlet that is returning transmission fluid back to the transmission. Make sure you get about 6 or 8 inches of the metal tubing. Connect a 3 foot long piece of clear tubing to your new treasure and connect it to your upper trans cooler line radiator outlet with the other end of your clear tubing in a bucket. You can start your engine now and come out and watch the transmission fluid being pumped into your bucket.

Watch closely!

After about 30 seconds the oil coming out will sputter as you run out of fluid from in the transmission pan and you will need to stop the engine and carefully put more transmission fluid in.

Last edited:

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want to repeat this process several times and watch the color of the transmission fluid that is draining out through your clear tube. It will be dark at first but once all the old dark fluid has been replaced with fresh bright red fluid you will have replaced all the fluid in the pan, transmission and torque converter.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you are getting bright red transmission fluid coming out you want to make sure you have restored your fluid volume back up to the proper level.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1998 C1500 had about 205,000 kilometers on it when I bought it with a very sick engine so I wondered about the transmission. I wanted to see the contents of the pan to see if it was as tired as the engine. Turns out the transmission was in very good condition.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another shot of another part of the transmission in the pan.

Attachments

• Transmission Oil Pan 210304 02.JPG
    Transmission Oil Pan 210304 02.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 5