350 vortec choppy cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake rogers

Reaction score
Hey so I have a 1996 k1500 sierra that has the 5.7 vortec 350. By no means am I a mechanic but I’m not stupid. Looking for a choppy cam and can’t find anything about it on these motors. What cam, lifters, push rods, etc… would I need to get that chop I want. Would the old computers even support it? You type I’ll read, I’m here to learn.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I’d be willing to do the necessary upgrades but not wanting to go balls to the wall

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound is the wrong way to pick a cam, and usually results in less performance/goes slower.
ABSOLUTELY.

You'd be throwing-away low rpm torque. A small-block in a heavy vehicle needs all the torque it can get. The deep first gear of a 4L60E helps some.

The bigger problem is getting the computer to deal with the poor cylinder filling at very low RPM.

Not recommended for the faint-of-heart, or faint-of-wallet.

Jake rogers

Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY.

You'd be throwing-away low rpm torque. A small-block in a heavy vehicle needs all the torque it can get. The deep first gear of a 4L60E helps some.

The bigger problem is getting the computer to deal with the poor cylinder filling at very low RPM.

Not recommended for the faint-of-heart, or faint-of-wallet.
Thank you, this is what most people have been summarizing for me but like I said I’m no mechanic so this actually did clear up my confusion. Is there any option for me to keep things working well or is just a no go, I daily drive it and it’s not beaten on at all, i mean it barely goes over 3k rpm unless it’s a weekend lol.