305 Vortec Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin e

Reaction score
Got a 1998 k1500 with the 305 vortec in it. I DO NOT plan on swapping it anytime soon nor do I really need or want to. motors got 50k miles on it. Im looking to find a cam that would give a little boost in power(with tuning if need be), sound good, but not have me replace every top end component for it to work. anyone got any good options that have worked for them? haven't really found a good clear answer on this.

Gobo

Reaction score
I’m going to follow this but from what I have seen a cam for the 5.7 vortex to use my roller lifters is like 600$. I just as well save for a ls swap if I go that route. Maybe you can swap out for flat tappet lifters? I’m not educated enough on it but wondering myself.

Tom400CFI

Reaction score
Used cams are a viable option since:
*It's a roller cam
*It's a low RPM motor (even after a cam)
*Even "a cam" -that meets these criteria, is still going to be quite conservative and easy on valve train.

Keeping budgets in mind, I'd look for take-out, stock/factory roller cams from anything other than a L31 0r L30, since those cams are so incredibly small and lame. Anything under .450" lift with what ever rockers you choose would be fine. If I embarked on this, I'd look at late TPI cams and LT1 cams, most likely.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran a comp extreme efi cam about 20 years ago in a 98 single cab with a 5spd. I can’t remember the grind or part number but it was healthy. It had a mail order tune in it and drove like a stock truck. I want to say the truck made 350ish to the wheels. But You can’t do just a cam on these trucks. The heads will need to be machined for the valve springs and screw in studs for the rockers, you will also need to measure and order correct push rods.

Tom400CFI

Reaction score
^I agree^...you CAN do, just a cam.
You do not NEED, screw in studs, especially for mild cam upgrades, which it seems the OP is talking about
Finally, you do not NEED to measure and change push rods with a mild cam upgrade....anymore than you could and "should" measure for proper push rod length on a bone stock engine, due to loosely controlled tolerances.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^I agree^...you CAN do, just a cam.
You do not NEED, screw in studs, especially for mild cam upgrades, which it seems the OP is talking about
Finally, you do not NEED to measure and change push rods with a mild cam upgrade....anymore than you could and "should" measure for proper push rod length on a bone stock engine, due to loosely controlled tolerances.
OE rockers are such garbage that any gain from a pushrod length correction would be lost to the rockers anyway.

Tom400CFI

Reaction score
OP should state his budget. We don't know what it is. I think the cam is a good start, since the stock cam is so small; it's low hanging fruit....especially if the OP is going to change it himself.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score