305 Vortec Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin e

Reaction score
OP should state his budget. We don't know what it is. I think the cam is a good start, since the stock cam is so small; it's low hanging fruit....especially if the OP is going to change it himself.
Budget isn't really a set number, not to say it like this but money isn't an object here. Just looking to spice the 305 up without going head first into a full on engine build. The only reason im not going out and doing a swap is the truck holds great sentimental value to me and my family and I don't wanna take away from that. As well the motor already has short tube headers and a volant power core intake on it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran a comp extreme efi cam about 20 years ago in a 98 single cab with a 5spd. I can’t remember the grind or part number but it was healthy. It had a mail order tune in it and drove like a stock truck. I want to say the truck made 350ish to the wheels. But You can’t do just a cam on these trucks. The heads will need to be machined for the valve springs and screw in studs for the rockers, you will also need to measure and order correct push rods.
That was back in the old FSC days, I remember a cammed 5.0L Vortec 5spd back then, IIRC may have been a maroon truck. With a 5spd 305 Vortec I would probably run an 08-502-8 myself. The 08-502-8 is similar to a LT4 Hotcam but makes a bit more torque.