Transfer Case Fluid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the oil I used.
Some will think it's a bit expensive but it was only a little more than the "ordinary" transmission fluid.

Attachments

• Valvoline 822421 MaxLife ATF 01.jpg
    Valvoline 822421 MaxLife ATF 01.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 11

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One final note...
Probably should have mentioned this earlier...
If you are going to do a transmission flush like outlined above you would be wise to have the full amount of oil on hand PLUS A COUPLE OF LITRES EXTRA. There is some mixing of new fluid with old and the bright red color won't arrive in your clear tubing until you have pumped MORE than the full volume of fluid out of your transmission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean hearing that you guys have used Dex VI without problem is reassuring lol.

Anyone know the socket size for the drain and fill? They're massive lol

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I stop using ATF in my 263HD after filling it and in 5000 miles it was really low level even with no leak and the case was dry. done that twice and finally talked to the diesel guys and the guys that build their Xcases wont warranty it unless you use Syn 5w30.
Ever since i put the new xcase in and used 5w30 it still has the same level 8000 miles later. I just change the fluid now every other engine oil change.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So was doing my output shaft seal on my tcase and 1 of the driveshaft bearing caps came off. 1 spline fell down and I put the driveshaft on anyways gonna put it back in the right spot tomorrow lmao

What's the worst that can happen with this? I did notice on that side the retaining bracket was a little more difficult to get on

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One note: if your going to harvest a fitting for a trans flush on the radiator attachment. Make sure you get the correct type and size. Some are inverted 3/8 flare, some are Quick connect O ring and " C " clip, others larger flare. Good luck!
The Valvoline in the blue gallon jug is Dex lll H , non synthetic.
That's what I used, in transfer case.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the driveshaft back out and the cap off. My question is how do I go about reattaching the bearing? Does it snap in or just sit there? Does it go in a certain way?

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tractor Supply carries Dex III in their house brand. It’s $26 a gallon.