Suede Headliner Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Passion Suede from Distinctive Fabric is some REALLY nice stuff, but its $13.00 a yard. http://distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=PSUEDE1

They also have some lower quality stuff as well, and if you sign up over at their site they will send you 5 free samples of your choosing, after that they will charge you just $1 per sample until you order something from them, then you get 5 more free samples.

Here is the direct link to all their suede material. http://distinctivefabric.com/category.php?cat=SUEDE

And they have a ton of other materials over there if your interested, such as some snake skin or alligator vinyl.

In my personal experience, 3M Super 77 did not work very well for me, but I was impatient and did not let it setup properly since I did not know (read the label) at the time. I also had a sagging headliner and had to remove my old fabric and the first layer of foam adhesive to get a decent bond to the backing. If I am going to do it again I will use Contact cement for laminate counter tops from a local Lowes/Home Depot/Menards... and an HVLP spray gun with the bottom reservoir. My experience was on an '92 interior, and since then I have gotten a '96 to work on.

The reason that I say that is because I did use that on the door panels of the '92 and It did not require me to wait for the adhesive to tack up nearly as long as the Super 77 requires.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice install! I wish you has some more pics on how to remove the rear pillars

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I didnt have to remove the rear pillars. I just slid the headliner forward and out. Didnt even touch 'em

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
i think it might make my interior to dark in mine, cuz i use black suede

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Let me add a little story to this of how mine went.................

Well friday night I go to my buddies shop 30 min away from any hardware store... I get there and the glue I used decided to setup inside the can... But there was still some liquid in there too which the idiot light should have said wait dont use that, its no good since its setup inside the can dumbass... Well it didnt and I sprayed that on top of the headliner... It never thought about getting tacky, so We go into town to Lowes to pick up a new can. I had to tear off the old cloth because it was soaking wet with what I assume was white watery stuff. I do this and take off part of the foam, So I get a metal brush cup for a drill and go to town on removing just the foam from the backing board. I get done with no screw ups on that and it looked like I just got done shearing a green sheep... I go to glue it with the fresh glue, and the headliner looks like fiberglass chop mat.. The glue doesnt stick or tack because the headliner is soaking it up almost immediately... I give up at this point and we go home for the night... Come out the next night with the GEL style Laminate counter-top glue. And for some reason my buddy convinces me to put that thru the HVLP gun saying he and another friend did it... That didnt work to well with my gun or his Gravity feed gun... By the way your supposed to use Xylol to clean up this glue, well that **** didnt cut the glue for crap, so we had to hand clean the globs of glue out of the guns... I should have stuck with my original plan of rolling it on and painting it on... Well we finally get the GEL glue on it enough to make me say time to stick the Suede. After we do it doesnt want to stick too well in a corner or two that night... We say **** it and leave it out there curing after I painted the edges with the glue and sticking/wrapping them around. Finally came out there tonight and it actually ******* stuck to my disbelief. I was ready to pull it and replace it with the Suede curtain like Greg suggested.

Moral of this story, use the right FRESH product for the job and dont **** around...

I might wind up getting something to replace the foam I pulled off there and redoing the headliner when it gets warmer...

Anyone done the door inserts by the armrests? If so any info or a writeup would be great, If not Ill try to get it written up later... Ive had more than enough fun for one weekend...

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
my truck has the tan color'ed interior.. i am thinking of putting some gray accent pieces in, and putting a gray suede headliner in.. would this look ok?? so tan, with gray vents, suede door accents, and gray headliner?

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It actually wouldn't look bad, if done correctly. My dad's 06 Has Grey/Tan Two tone, Grey dash, Grey seats, Grey doors, but tan A/B/C Pillars and Roof. I am not sure if it would look good with Grey on top, and tan on bottom. Take some pics of the interior, and send them in a PM to me, and I'll try to get a photoshop for you. Get a couple pics if you can.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
actually, i bought some black suede last night, and wrapped a sun visor as a test.... turns out.. i am not great at upholstering the corners, but it didnt look too bad... i will take pics when i finish the passenger side one in a bit.. thanks for the idea.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remember on the corners to cut so you don't have folds. I had to work around that in a few places.