Suggestions/ideas for 93 Suburban headliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 93 Suburban I bought new and it’s lived its life in the Tucson desert heat, mostly parked outside. Upside is nothing rusts, downside is the heat takes its toll on paint, fabric, plastics, etc.
The headliner by the windshield is falling apart. It just falls apart if touched. The headliner from about the back of the front seat to the rear is fine- seems still in good shape. See pics.
The fabric in front has come off the backing, whatever that is.
I’m not sure about replacing entire headliner even if I could find something reasonable. Seems like a pain to do by yourself.
I thought about taking to a custom shop but at this point the truck is a go to the metal store, Home Depot, the dump vehicle and the cost of the custom top is more than the value of the truck.

Ideas, suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Getting ready to do the headliner in my girl's K2500. Thankfully a retired friend of mine is an upholsterer and is gonna help me with it. The other choice would have been a complete piece from LMC Truck. You can get visor sets too. Your exact color match may not be available at LMC though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I stuck the fabric in my Suburban over the driver's seat up with some strong neodymium magnets over 10 years ago and they're still there. :lol:

My fabric isn't ripped or anything though, just drooping a little in that one spot.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for responses. I think it’d require a lot of magnets to save my headliner at this point df2x4!

perhaps best approach is to do it right, figure out how to get the whole thing removed, take to someone to redo. Seems like trying to do something like this half-a’d often ends up more work and time than just doing it right.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You can do it.

Jwill945

Reaction score
You can do it.

Obviously the materials are the same, but is the process about the same for Suburban? I’m guessing the panel would come out the back barn doors.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is a single piece of fabric for the whole thing. I thought about trying to put a seam between the rear which is all good and the windshield area but decided that would be probably be more of a pain than trying to do the whole thing

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Mine is a single piece of fabric for the whole thing. I thought about trying to put a seam between the rear which is all good and the windshield area but decided that would be probably be more of a pain than trying to do the whole thing
Plus, the fabric colors would not match. New fabric next to faded fabric.