Need Advice on Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my old 94 I bought some foam backed headliner material and used a water based contact adhesive that I applied with a spray gun. I had two people hold the corners of the material just above the fiber board and lightly pushed down in the center and worked it out to the edges.
It turned out great and looked just as good fifteen years later when I sold it.
I was just thinking about that job as I was typing this and remembered that I used some 1/4” closed cell foam and cut it out in the shape of flames and glued it to the fiber board before the headliner material. The material was black and you had to look closely, but you could see the impression of the flames. It was pretty cool for the 90’s.
I did something similar. I used rope and tweet. No pics :( just memories.
All tweet trucks of the 90s smelt like a can of glue.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the master:

Emily115

Reaction score
Found some, now remember these are pictures of pictures from a disposable camera right around 99-2000.
Emily I’m sorry for highjacking your thread, I’ll stop now.

You must be registered for see images attach
No worries at all sir. It's very interesting :) Love the flames!

Big T

Reaction score
Here’s a how to video from a shop that sells supplies:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Replace w Complete one from LMC is what I ended up doing. It was worth the extra Money.
Plastic backed? If so, I haven't heard good things about longevity. I can't imagine the plastic blocks the intense roof heat nearly as good as the fiberglass board does. And having driven my '93 with no headliner at all, in the summer, I can tell you that roof got so hot *inside* it could literally burn you if you touched it.

Richard

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Pretty well been covered here in detail. Make sure and scrape the board clean, wire brush works great. If it has any places that have lost is rigidity, use a couple of coats of fiberglass resin to firm the board up. Use the fiberglass cloth to fix any tears or breaks when using the resin.

Pick your spray glue of choice and follow the directions on the can.

Here is the most recent one I did in my Z28. No one makes Flame Red colored material anymore, and the red houndstooth was the closest match I could find to the OE interior material. Mine was not foam backed and came out just fine.

Covered in resin:

Fixed/reinforced corner:

Lots of measuring to get the pattern square with the car:

Installed pics:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice. I'm wondering what the trick is on the GMT800's at the edges where the factory DID NOT wrap the material around. When people re-cover them, do they wrap? Because it's a sore spot! Both ours are coming loose at the driver door, and at the windshield. So I've got THREE headliners to do.. with the SS's being a bit more complex than the '93.

Richard

Scubasteve51

Reaction score
Fleece blanket fabric is great for this. Solid or with a pattern, and use the 3M adhesive. There are videos on YT that show you how to apply the fabric without wrinkles or sticking to itself. Might want another set of hands.