Replace Fuel Pump or Not Replace Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a 1989 Silverado with the original drivetrain. I don't know if the fuel pump has ever been replaced and the truck has 123,000 miles. I dropped the gasoline tank to reach a ruptured brake line that was replaced today. Would you replace the fuel pump or not replace the fuel pump? I have no indications the pump is defective and when I changed the fuel filter last month the filter was 100% clean. Tomorrow I plan on removing the pump from the tank to inspect it. Is there any way to tell the age of a fuel pump?

I do not want to spend money on parts that don't need replacement but since the tank is currently out of the truck and I don't know the age of the fuel pump I thought replacing the pump might be good preventative maintenance. What are your thoughts?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear others thoughts on this, but personally I think I would leave it alone. New production parts for these trucks have a high probability of being produced in other countries (mainly China) and quality can vary immensely. If your pump is original, chances are it was built much better than most of the replacement options on the market today.

If you do decide to replace it, I would probably go with a Delphi pump & housing assembly. They seem to be the best available since the OEM GM parts were discontinued. From what I understand the '96+ Vortec fuel pump is also a compatible upgrade for the TBI trucks, but the extra fuel pressure it provides is not really necessary unless you've done some performance modifications. @PlayingWithTBI and others may have more input on that.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not want to spend money on parts that don't need replacement but since the tank is currently out of the truck and I don't know the age of the fuel pump I thought replacing the pump might be good preventative maintenance. What are your thoughts?
FWIU, you're thinking about adding some upgrades to your engine. The OE TBI fuel pump (75 L/HR supporting ~230 HP) won't support much more than the stock engine. The ACDelco EP381 (155 L/Hr, from 96-97 Vortecs supporting ~450 HP) is a direct replacement, even comes with the hose and O-Rings.
www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-ep381

I would probably go with a Delphi pump & housing assembly. They seem to be the best available since the OEM GM parts were discontinued.
Yes, there is always a risk anymore. If you find a cheap pump on Flee Bay it's probably junk. I bought mine from Summit Racing maybe 4+ Years ago. I can't remember if RockAuto still has them available either.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me, at a minimum and since the tank is out I would pull the pump assembly and replace the piece of hose that connects the pump to the feed line. After 34 years of being submerged in fuel chances are it's degraded quite a bit. You'll want submersible rated fuel hose.
www.amazon.com/dp/B001R5XX56?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIU, you're thinking about adding some upgrades to your engine. The OE TBI fuel pump (75 L/HR supporting ~230 HP) won't support much more than the stock engine. The ACDelco EP381 (155 L/Hr, from 96-97 Vortecs supporting ~450 HP) is a direct replacement, even comes with the hose and O-Rings.
www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-ep381

Yes, there is always a risk anymore. If you find a cheap pump on Flee Bay it's probably junk. I bought mine from Summit Racing maybe 4+ Years ago. I can't remember if RockAuto still has them available either.
I got my EP 381 from rock auto in December. Will be installing it in about a week or two. They do still sell them. Whether it's in stock, however, is kind of hit or miss. The website says there is one left in stock right now.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have stated, it is hit or miss in buying a quality replacement anymore. I would replace the little hoses, the sock and the big o-ring if it’s available.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yep, fuel strainer should be replaced too. Might as well install a good quality fuel filter while you're working in that area.
Most fuel pump warranties require the fuel filter to be changed at the same time as the pump or shortly thereafter. I know the Precision brand one I got from O'Reilly's is that way.....