Replace Fuel Pump or Not Replace Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treble

Reaction score
I'm going to have to drop the tank-

Last week I was trying to siphon what is left of the old fuel. When a section of the hose detached itself from the barbed fitting. Now that piece of hose is resting safely in the bottom of the tank.

I will drop it, then see what parts need replacing-

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No matter what you decide to do.
Buy a new lock ring.
They are about 5 bucks from NAPA.
They get corroded and taking them loose with a punch distorts them and they really dont want to go back on.
Clean everything before you pull that lock ring loose.
You dont want any crud coming loose and going in the tank.
They are coated in some type of unknown GM mystery goo.
I used the wax from a 3 buck home depot toilet bowl seal and its been that way for about 8 years or so.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The first I did my pump I covered the top with wheel bearing grease. It was messy but worked fine. I think the second time I sprayed it with a wax and oil mixture.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone that gave me advice and or their opinion!
My fuel pump was original and the pump and fuel sock were in good condition. I decided to replace it with a new fuel pump from Oreilly's Auto Parts since the old pump has been in use since September 1988. The new pump assembly was made in Mexico. I always keep my truck's original parts so I have my truck's old fuel pump stored safely.

This is a link to the pump I purchased.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone that gave me advice and or their opinion!
My fuel pump was original and the pump and fuel sock were in good condition. I decided to replace it with a new fuel pump from Oreilly's Auto Parts since the old pump has been in use since September 1988. The new pump assembly was made in Mexico. I always keep my truck's original parts so I have my truck's old fuel pump stored safely.

This is a link to the pump I purchased.

I got a Precision brand one for my Burb in September last year, and I'm pleased with it. I hadn't realized how long the old original pump had been going bad, because it was so gradual (till it decided to croak in my driveway that is, guess that's the best place for it to do that!). Crazy thing was, we had driven the Burb a good bit, the day before we parked it, and no issues....