Quick Disconnect Fitting on Heater Inlet Hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Ordered are the Fel-Pro gasket, the Dorman connector cw retaining clip, and the removal tool - all for $10 less than individual parts and without the removal tool. I'll take that as my Christmas present from you all - cheers!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New guy here. I figured I'd speak up on this one since I'm an old GM dealership mechanic and I've dealt with this a bit.

First, you do not want to do away with the fitting and replace it with a generic hose barb and hose clamp. The reason why is that the fitting offers a flow restriction to the heater core. With a normal hose barb the coolant flows too quickly and causes various sounds from the heater core. Some of them make a whooshing sound, some of the gurgle a bit. Regardless of how you describe the sound it was caused by the coolant rushing too forcefully through the heater core.

We saw this in the dealership quite a bit. Customer would complain of noises coming out of the heater box and swapping back to the correct fitting would cure it.

Rockauto sells the Dorman one which is made out of better metal than the OEM GM one. It's one of the few things that Dorman got right and it's actually a better part than the GM one.

Dorman 800401 and costs about 5 bucks at Rockauto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=61955&jsn=321

If you really want to cover your bases, get the removal tool in case the old one breaks upon removal It's only about five bucks and I've yet to see one of those fittings that it won't remove.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2784024&jsn=311

Cracking second post from a newbie - you can stay!
Welcome aboard the forum.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
New guy here. I figured I'd speak up on this one since I'm an old GM dealership mechanic and I've dealt with this a bit.

First, you do not want to do away with the fitting and replace it with a generic hose barb and hose clamp. The reason why is that the fitting offers a flow restriction to the heater core. With a normal hose barb the coolant flows too quickly and causes various sounds from the heater core. Some of them make a whooshing sound, some of the gurgle a bit. Regardless of how you describe the sound it was caused by the coolant rushing too forcefully through the heater core.

I'd wager the sound is mostly from air bubbles rushing through the core, not coolant. Lots of leaky intake manifold gaskets out there, letting air into the system. A little bit of sound from a heater core doesn't bother me at all, especially when the alternative is a garbage connector that will leak or break, that also requires a special heater hose unless you cut through the crimp and try to re-use the tubing going into the quick connect.

The quick connects are for fast assembly on the production line, which saves GM money.

Edit: I did have a Dorman in a parts lot that I purchased, and it did look better than the OEM GM part...steel instead of pot metal maybe? Since I had already replaced the one on my truck with brass, long ago, I wasn't about to try it.

Last edited:

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The quick connect is for assembly line expediency. But the reduced internal bore is for flow control. GM actually used slip on barbs in other applications. They also had smaller internal bores for flow control.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd replace the whole thing with a normal hose barbm and get rid of the quick mis-connect.
The doorman ones aren't pot.metla like the og ones, we replace em and don't usually have an issue with em any more, but a barb would be a better fix for a lifetime of no worries.