Quick Disconnect Fitting on Heater Inlet Hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk if this helps but heres what somebody did on mine. Looks like a rig but hey its worked..

You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The linked one is the only one that Rock Auto list S111 - and for UK delivery I'm kinda dependent on them.

Gasket set, the threaded fitting and the clip - anything else before I hit the order button?

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
New guy here. I figured I'd speak up on this one since I'm an old GM dealership mechanic and I've dealt with this a bit.

First, you do not want to do away with the fitting and replace it with a generic hose barb and hose clamp. The reason why is that the fitting offers a flow restriction to the heater core. With a normal hose barb the coolant flows too quickly and causes various sounds from the heater core. Some of them make a whooshing sound, some of the gurgle a bit. Regardless of how you describe the sound it was caused by the coolant rushing too forcefully through the heater core.

We saw this in the dealership quite a bit. Customer would complain of noises coming out of the heater box and swapping back to the correct fitting would cure it.

Rockauto sells the Dorman one which is made out of better metal than the OEM GM one. It's one of the few things that Dorman got right and it's actually a better part than the GM one.

Dorman 800401 and costs about 5 bucks at Rockauto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=61955&jsn=321

If you really want to cover your bases, get the removal tool in case the old one breaks upon removal It's only about five bucks and I've yet to see one of those fittings that it won't remove.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2784024&jsn=311

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New guy here. I figured I'd speak up on this one since I'm an old GM dealership mechanic and I've dealt with this a bit.

First, you do not want to do away with the fitting and replace it with a generic hose barb and hose clamp. The reason why is that the fitting offers a flow restriction to the heater core. With a normal hose barb the coolant flows too quickly and causes various sounds from the heater core. Some of them make a whooshing sound, some of the gurgle a bit. Regardless of how you describe the sound it was caused by the coolant rushing too forcefully through the heater core.

We saw this in the dealership quite a bit. Customer would complain of noises coming out of the heater box and swapping back to the correct fitting would cure it.

Rockauto sells the Dorman one which is made out of better metal than the OEM GM one. It's one of the few things that Dorman got right and it's actually a better part than the GM one.

Dorman 800401 and costs about 5 bucks at Rockauto.

Glad you spoke up. I could see that. I always wondered why the passenger side would gargle every now and then... next question in my case if somebody cut the hose and hooked it up how would I go back to oem set up? New hose and fitting?