Power Steering Pump Replacement Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
All the pumps I've seen, have been sheetmetal tank and cast pump....I was only kidding about the welding part though lol. I don't agree with alot of **** people do to their rides :crazy:

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another question then is will replacing the O-ring between the two be a long term fix or will the pump just burn through another one? Also how do you tell the difference between turbo-boost and non t-boost? I don't want to deal with this again, I would rather replace the pump if it will last longer than just a o-ring. Is pulling the fan hard? can I make do without having to dig that deep into it?

Thanks again guys I appreciate all the help!

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As for pulling the pump to begin with, it's a pain in the ass with the fan on. The interference fit is very snug to hold the power it sucks and it's slow going by hand but there isn't clearance for much else. I would leave the belt on, pulling the pulley will slack it so you can get it out of the way to put it back on after.

Definitely rent the pulley puller. It may break, usually the threaded stud used to reinstall twists and yields, be prepared to go back to the store to get another puller/installer.

how hard is it to do with the fan on? is it worth it to pull the fan off?

why wouldn't I pull the belt off if I was replacing it?? and also why would the puller break? I've used them before and never had an issue with it, the pulley itself has bent on me before but the worst the puller has done is give a little bow to the threaded shaft...

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
how hard is it to do with the fan on? is it worth it to pull the fan off?

why wouldn't I pull the belt off if I was replacing it?? and also why would the puller break? I've used them before and never had an issue with it, the pulley itself has bent on me before but the worst the puller has done is give a little bow to the threaded shaft...

I would definatly pull the fan

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several 10mm bolts to pull the upper fan shroud and then a big ass wrench that fits the nut on the fan clutch and a hammer. Put the wrench on the clutch nut and knock the hell out of it. I believe it is standard right hand thread, so knock it to the left. Once it's loose you can spin it off by hand. Careful doing so, because if it falls it can booger up the threads on the pump snout and the blades can punch a hole in the radiator. Installation is reverse of removal, lol.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, there's a tool kit to do it with that most parts stores rent. Oh, and leave the belt on, it helps hold the pump snout.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again guys! doesn't look like too much of a hassle....I'll let you all know how it turns out sunday!