Power Steering Pump Replacement Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys! So the story is that my 1997 5.7L K1500 Sub is leaking power steering fluid like crazy. I've been looking on here for some writeups on how to swap it out but haven't found anything too detailed. Both the sending and returning pressure lines heading to the gear box are new and I have torqued them down as much as possible (without stripping them) and there is still a major leak coming from behind the power steering pump. I've been going through a quart of fluid a week and I'm sick of it! :banghead: My questions are as follows:
1. Is the tensioner the pulley located directly below the alt? And is it regular or reverse thread?
2. How hard of a job is it to replace the pump and will a pulley press/puller be needed?
3. Does anyone have a good diagram of the serp system on this motor?

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated...

I would like to get this done Sunday if at all possible, its my only day off of work this week!

TIA!

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
autozone has haynes manuals forsale for like $15. worth the investment as it tells you how to disassemble the entire truck. i don't particularly recall the procedure for this truck but i've done a million PS pumps and don't recall any of them being reverse thread

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you can sign up for a free acct on auto zone, or get their phone app an get free repair guides.....

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
Hey guys! So the story is that my 1997 5.7L K1500 Sub is leaking power steering fluid like crazy. I've been looking on here for some writeups on how to swap it out but haven't found anything too detailed. Both the sending and returning pressure lines heading to the gear box are new and I have torqued them down as much as possible (without stripping them) and there is still a major leak coming from behind the power steering pump. I've been going through a quart of fluid a week and I'm sick of it! :banghead: My questions are as follows:
1. Is the tensioner the pulley located directly below the alt? And is it regular or reverse thread?
2. How hard of a job is it to replace the pump and will a pulley press/puller be needed?
3. Does anyone have a good diagram of the serp system on this motor?

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated...

I would like to get this done Sunday if at all possible, its my only day off of work this week!

TIA!

1.no , the tensioner is on the left side of the motor when facing it and its not reverse thread .
2. The pump isnt too bad to replace. Make sure your new pump has the reservoir on it already (you can swap it from your old pump but its a PITA). Yes you will need a puller . Make sure you get the puller with the threaded shaft to reinstall the pulley on on the new pump once its install. You can rent them from advance , auto zone .
You must be registered for see images attach

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys! I guess I'll give it hell sunday, might as well throw a new belt on and give her an oil change while I'm at it :waytogo:

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it possible that ur burban has a power steering cooler..? U could check the lines and the cooler and see if thats the problem...