Power Steering Pump Replacement Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bump....nobody has any ideas why there would be resistance or non-fluidity in the wheel? I'm thinking it has to be a bum pump due to the fact that it wouldn't do this before the install, unless it is just an air pocket in there?? Idk any help or ideas is appreciated guys

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Sounds like air in the steering system. I replaced my pump and hit the road....after about 12-16hrs on the road, I pulled over and heard the steering. I'd forgotten to top it off after purging the system, and when I put more fluid in, all this bubbly came up. So yeah, it felt much smoother after that haha. Air pockets WILL make it have a momentary stiffer feeling to the wheel, because it's losing the necessary pressure due to air being compressible and the fluid not.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I hope it works itself out of there! lol I did bleed the system as instructed after finishing the job, maybe I should do it again for longer? or could it possibly just make its way out itself eventually?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well mine still did it here and there and even now will sometimes do it when holding the brakes and turning at the same time(mine has hydroboost, so pump has to work both brakes and steering). I've had someone pump brakes while turning wheel lock to lock with the reservoir top off and I can sometimes see random foam coming to top, so I will add a little here and there as the level goes down. I ended up filling reservoir to near the top, then putting lid on. After driving a while, I took top of and some had been pressed out and had foam on top. So purging it works fine as long as you don't let the level get low enough to suck more air into the lines.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You're welcome man........I wish you smooth operating steering....I'm still working on mine being smooth 100% of the time. I've learned to let go of brakes while turning from lock to lock, just so I dont come across the random loss of power steering.